Calculate Horizontal Velocity of Jetliner at 233 m/s

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the magnitude of the horizontal component of a jetliner's velocity when given its overall speed and vertical component. The steps involved taking the inverse cosine of the ratio of the horizontal component to the overall speed, and then finding the vertical component using sine. The final calculation involved taking the square root of the sum of the squared components.
tryton

Homework Statement

A jetliner is moving at a speed of 233 m/s. The vertical component of the plane's velocity is 66.9 m/s. Determine the magnitude of the horizontal component of the plane's velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

233m/s^2=66m/s^2+x^2=233.189135m/s
66m/s cos(90)=0

I am not really sure how to find velocity from speed without knowing the angle... It's not given that it is 90... I know this is supposed to be easy but I am a beginner.

Thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
tryton said:

Homework Statement

A jetliner is moving at a speed of 233 m/s. The vertical component of the plane's velocity is 66.9 m/s. Determine the magnitude of the horizontal component of the plane's velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

233m/s^2=66m/s^2+x^2=233.189135m/s
66m/s cos(90)=0

I am not really sure how to find velocity from speed without knowing the angle... It's not given that it is 90... I know this is supposed to be easy but I am a beginner.

Thanks for help
You are almost there:
So its Vx=Vcos(theta)

So then with algebra its: arccosine(Vx/V)=theta...plug in your given numbers..
Theta = 73.3 degrees

Then find the y component with Vy=Vsin(73.3) = 233sin(73.3)=223 so Vy=223m/s

to check this then you would do sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)=V

Last edited:
USN2ENG said:
You are almost there:
So its Vx=Vcos(theta)

So then with algebra its: arccosine(Vx/V^2)=theta...plug in your given numbers..
Theta = 73.3 degrees

Then find the y component with Vy=Vsin(73.3) = 233sin(73.3)=223 so Vy=223m/s

to check this then you would do sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)=V

Beat me to it. But yeah do this.

Thanks! That was helpful!

ing me with this problem.

I understand your confusion about finding the horizontal velocity without knowing the angle. In order to accurately calculate the horizontal velocity, we need to know both the speed and the angle at which the jetliner is traveling. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the horizontal velocity.

If we assume that the angle of the jetliner's velocity is 90 degrees (horizontal), then we can use trigonometric functions to calculate the horizontal velocity. We can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the total velocity (233 m/s) and the vertical velocity (66.9 m/s).

By using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the magnitude of the horizontal velocity:
233^2 = (66.9)^2 + x^2
x = √(233^2 - 66.9^2) = 223.5 m/s

Therefore, the horizontal velocity of the jetliner is 223.5 m/s. However, it is important to note that this calculation is based on the assumption that the angle of the jetliner's velocity is 90 degrees. If the angle is different, the horizontal velocity will also be different.

In conclusion, in order to accurately calculate the horizontal velocity of the jetliner, we need to know both the speed and the angle at which it is traveling. Without this information, we cannot accurately determine the horizontal velocity.

Related to Calculate Horizontal Velocity of Jetliner at 233 m/s

1. How is the horizontal velocity of a jetliner calculated?

The horizontal velocity of a jetliner is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the jetliner by the time it takes to travel that distance. This gives the average speed in meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the typical horizontal velocity of a jetliner?

The typical horizontal velocity of a jetliner can vary, but on average it is around 800 km/h or 233 m/s.

3. How does the horizontal velocity of a jetliner affect its flight?

The horizontal velocity of a jetliner is a key factor in determining its flight duration and fuel efficiency. A higher horizontal velocity allows the jetliner to cover more distance in less time, resulting in shorter flight durations and potentially lower fuel consumption.

4. Can the horizontal velocity of a jetliner change during flight?

Yes, the horizontal velocity of a jetliner can change during flight due to various factors such as wind speed and direction, air traffic control instructions, and adjustments made by the pilots.

5. How is the horizontal velocity of a jetliner measured?

The horizontal velocity of a jetliner is typically measured using advanced equipment and instruments on board the aircraft, such as airspeed indicators and GPS systems. Ground control may also track the jetliner's velocity using radar technology.