Calculate Heat Transfer for Cooling Saturated Water in a Closed Tank

In summary, the problem involves a closed, rigid tank containing saturated liquid water that is cooled to a final temperature of 50 degrees C. The masses of saturated vapor and liquid present are given, but the specific internal energy of the initial saturated liquid water is needed to calculate the heat transfer for the process. However, this value cannot be found without knowing either the pressure or temperature of the water before cooling. The 50 degrees C temperature may be used in some way to find one of these values, but it is not clear how to calculate it.
Xkaliber

Homework Statement

Saturated liquid water contained in a closed, rigid tank is cooled to a final state where the temperature is 50 degrees C and the masses of saturated vapor and liquid present are 0.03 and 1999.97 kg, respectively. Determine the heat transfer for the process, in kJ.

Homework Equations

u = (1-x)u_f + x(u_g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am able to find the values for all my variables except for the specific internal energy of the initial saturated liquid water. The value can be found on a saturation table but to do so, I need to know either the pressure or the temperature of the water, which is not given in the problem. Any hints on obtaining one these values?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Xkaliber said:
Saturated liquid water contained in a closed, rigid tank is cooled to a final state where the temperature is 50 degrees C and ...

...The value can be found on a saturation table but to do so, I need to know either the pressure or the temperature of the water, which is not given in the problem.

Will this help?

lol, I wish it were that easy, but I actually need the pressure or the temp of the saturated liquid before cooling. I am sure the 50 degrees C value is used in some way, direct or indirect, to find one of the numbers I need, but I am not sure how to calculate it.

Related to Calculate Heat Transfer for Cooling Saturated Water in a Closed Tank

What is Thermo homework help?

Thermo homework help is a service that provides assistance and support to students who are struggling with their thermodynamics homework. This can include help with understanding concepts, solving problems, and preparing for exams.

Why do I need Thermo homework help?

Thermodynamics is a complex subject that requires a deep understanding of various concepts and equations. It is common for students to struggle with their thermodynamics homework due to the difficulty of the subject. Thermo homework help can provide you with the necessary guidance and support to improve your understanding and performance in the subject.

Who provides Thermo homework help?

Thermo homework help is typically provided by experienced tutors or experts in the field of thermodynamics. These individuals have a strong understanding of the subject and are able to explain concepts in a clear and concise manner. They may also have experience in teaching or tutoring students in thermodynamics.

How can Thermo homework help benefit me?

Thermo homework help can benefit you in several ways. It can help improve your understanding and grades in thermodynamics, reduce stress and frustration related to homework, and prepare you for exams. It can also help you develop study skills and strategies that can be applied to other subjects.

How can I access Thermo homework help?

There are various ways to access Thermo homework help. You can seek help from a tutor, join a study group, or use online resources such as forums, videos, and practice problems. Your school or university may also have a tutoring center or resources available for students in need of academic support.