Calculate Fraction to Change Length of Pendulum for True Run

In summary, the problem is asking for the fraction by which the length of the pendulum must be changed in order for it to run true, losing one minute every hour. The equation t=2pi/sqrt(g) * sqrt(l) is used to find the period of the pendulum, and in order to have it swing 60 times every 60 seconds, the period needs to be shortened by a certain amount. The correct solution is T=t(1-1/60). The frequency f(L) with length L is 3540 cycles per 3600 seconds, but in order to have 3600 cycles per 3600 seconds, the frequency must be f(L-L/a).
cap.r

Homework Statement

by what fraction must you change the length of the pendulum to make it run true if it loses one minute every hour

Homework Equations

t=2pi/sqrt(g) * sqrt(l)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I am losing 1 second every 60 seconds so I need to shorten the period by a certain amount so that it swings 60 times every 60 second instead of the 59 times that it currently swings.

so I want to say T=t-1/60 and then plug that into find L (T and L are final while t and l are initial).

but the correct answer is T=t(1-1/60), I don't know why this is or how we get it. I can do the rest of the problem if I can understand this one thing.

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this work?

The frequency f(L) is 1/T(L) = [1/2pi]*[g/L]^.5 = 3540/3600 we get 3540 cycles per 3600 seconds with length L. But we want,

f(L-L/a) = [1/2pi]*[g/L-L/a]^.5 = 3600/3600

?

Related to Calculate Fraction to Change Length of Pendulum for True Run

1. How do you calculate the fraction to change the length of a pendulum for a true run?

To calculate the fraction, you will need to use the formula L1/L2 = T1^2/T2^2, where L1 is the original length of the pendulum, L2 is the desired length, T1 is the original period of oscillation, and T2 is the desired period of oscillation. This formula will give you the fraction by which you need to change the length of the pendulum to achieve the desired period.

2. What is the significance of changing the length of a pendulum for a true run?

Changing the length of a pendulum is important for achieving the true run or accurate timekeeping. By adjusting the length of the pendulum, you can control the period of oscillation and ensure that the pendulum swings at a constant and precise rate, resulting in accurate timekeeping.

3. Can you explain the concept of true run in relation to pendulums?

True run refers to the accurate and consistent timekeeping of a pendulum. This is achieved by adjusting the length of the pendulum to ensure a constant and precise period of oscillation. The longer the pendulum, the slower it swings and the longer the period of oscillation, resulting in a more accurate timekeeping.

4. What factors can affect the length of a pendulum for a true run?

The length of a pendulum can be affected by various factors such as the strength of gravity, air resistance, and the stiffness of the pendulum's material. These factors can cause small variations in the period of oscillation, which can affect the accuracy of the pendulum's timekeeping.

5. Are there any limitations to using the fraction method to change the length of a pendulum for a true run?

While the fraction method provides a good estimate for adjusting the length of a pendulum, it is not always precise. Other factors, such as the shape and weight of the pendulum, can also affect the period of oscillation and may need to be taken into consideration. Additionally, for very precise timekeeping, other methods, such as using a compound pendulum, may be more accurate.