Calculate Force on Two Parallel Conductors

In summary, the problem involves calculating the force exerted by two parallel conductors on each other, given their distance apart and current values. Using the formula B=K x (i/d), the magnetic fields of each current are determined to be 1.06666 x 10^-5 and 1.6 x 10^-5. Subtracting the smaller value from the larger gives a resulting value of 5.3334 x 10^-6. This is then used in the formula F=BiL to calculate the force on the 8 amp conductor as 4.26672 x 10^-5 N.
Ry122
Can someone tell me if I am on the right track with this.

Problem: Two parallel conductors are 15cm apart and carry current of 8 amp and 12 amp. Calculate the size and direction of the force that the conductors exert on each one meter length of each other.

8 amp (out of page) o -------- 15cm --------- x (into page) 12 amp

My attempt:
Left conductor
B=K x (i/d)
B=2x10^-7 x (8/.15)
B=1.06666 x 10^-5
Right conductor
B=K x (i/d)
B=2x10^-7 x (12/.15)
B=1.6 x 10^-5

Since the currents are moving in opposite directions minus the smaller teslas from the larger.
1.6x10^-5 - 1.06666 x 10^-5 = 5.3334 x 10^-6

Only the 8amp conductor will experience a force.

F=BiL
F=5.3334 x 10^-6 x 8 x 1
= 4.26672 x 10^-5 N

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the magnetic field of one current at the location of the other. Then figure out the force per unit length on the current-carrying wire due to that magnetic field of the other wire. You only need to figure it out once, since the force on each will be equal and opposite.

Your approach seems to be on the right track. However, there are a few things to consider in order to ensure accuracy in your calculations:

1. The units for magnetic field strength (B) are Tesla (T), not just K. So your final answer for B should be in units of T, not just a numerical value.

2. The direction of the force can be determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field. In this case, the force will be attractive between the two conductors.

3. The force between the two conductors can be calculated using the equation F = μ0 * I1 * I2 * L / (2πd), where μ0 is the permeability of free space (equal to 4π x 10^-7 N/A^2), I1 and I2 are the currents in the two conductors, L is the length of the conductors, and d is the distance between them.

4. So, in this case, the force on each conductor will be F = (4π x 10^-7 N/A^2) * (8 A) * (12 A) * 1 m / (2π * 0.15 m) = 0.0853 N.

Overall, your approach is correct, but make sure to pay attention to units and use the appropriate equations to ensure accuracy in your calculations.

Related to Calculate Force on Two Parallel Conductors

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two parallel conductors?

The formula for calculating the force between two parallel conductors is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * l) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two conductors, l is the length of the conductors, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the two conductors affect the force?

The force between two parallel conductors is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. Can the current in one of the conductors affect the force between them?

Yes, the force between two parallel conductors is directly proportional to the currents in both conductors. This means that an increase in current in one conductor will result in an increase in force.

4. What is the significance of the permeability of free space in this calculation?

The permeability of free space, represented by μ0, is a constant that determines the strength of the magnetic field between the two conductors. It is a fundamental property of space and is necessary for accurately calculating the force between the conductors.

5. Can this formula be used for non-parallel conductors?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the force between two parallel conductors. For non-parallel conductors, different equations and principles must be used to determine the force between them.