Calculate Force Loss: I'm New to Forum

• Thread starter thewoodviolin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Loss
In summary, you press on something that in turn presses on something else, and the energy loss is due to compression.
thewoodviolin
I am new to the forum. I was calculating the force losses in a seat belt pretensioner. Here is the question.

A cylindrical plastic rod is pushed on one side at a force of 6367.2 N inside a metal tube. Find the energy loss (force loss or final force or output force) due to the compression of the rod.

Given
Initial pressure = 670 bar
Initial force= 6367.2 N
Original length of rod= 177 mm
Changing length of rod = 37.80 mm
Rod material = plastic
Youngs modulus of rod= 1.8 GPa
Inner dia of tube = 11 mm
Dia of rod = 9.6 mm

Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I want to find the final output force ór remaining force after compression happens (final output force should be less than the initial force).

This is a case where you press on something that, in turn, presses on something else?
YOu need to model the system in a way that is amenable to analysis - like a free body diagram.

Yes. You are right. When the above said force is used to push the rod, the rod in turn pushes through the blade of a gear (looks like turbine). I want to find the force in that area (just before it touces the blad of the turbine).

Are you sure about these figures: Original length of rod= 177 mm
Changing length of rod = 37.80 mm. That seems unlikely to me, unless I have misunderstood the situation. Does that mean that the rod shortens from 177 mm to 139.2 mm?

I think you need to draw a diagram - what force? where? "area" of what?
Could it be that you are trying to work out an overall problem by sub-optimal means?
i.e. what do you need this force for?

http://www.auto-medienportal.net/artikel/detail/21478/[/URL]

The last picture from the above link explains it:

A force of 6367.2 N is applied on the green rod inside the tube.So the rod (plastic) runs through the turbine blade and stops after that. Now the remaining force is transferred through the turbine. You could see the rod is compressed in the last picture of the 4. A loss of energy (force) happens due to compression. I just want to find the remaining force (just before the force is transferred to turbine).

Initial force = 6367.2 N
Energy loss (due to compression) = ?
Remaining force = ?

Initial force - Energy loss = Remaining force

Last edited by a moderator:
pongo38 said:
Are you sure about these figures: Original length of rod= 177 mm
Changing length of rod = 37.80 mm. That seems unlikely to me, unless I have misunderstood the situation. Does that mean that the rod shortens from 177 mm to 139.2 mm?

@ pongo: Values doesn't matter. I just want to know the theoretical method to find the right answer.

Initial force - Energy loss = Remaining force
Dimensions don't match... you cannot subtract energy from a force and get a force.

The pic does not say what you want to do.

I just want to know the theoretical method to find the right answer.
.. the first step is to draw a diagram - put arrows on it to show the forces you are interested in.

You need to understand how the pretensioner works - here's an example (not yours though)
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/seatbelt4.htm
... and then you need to model it.
A compressible section would normally be modeled as a spring.

I am still struggling to find the right answer. To put the question in a simple way;

Calculate the force required to compress (deform) the object? Just need to know the method to calculate.

You've been told the method repeatedly.
Describe the process precisely, model as a spring, do a free body diagram.
Good luck.

Related to Calculate Force Loss: I'm New to Forum

What is force loss and why is it important to calculate?

Force loss is the reduction of force that occurs during a physical process. It is important to calculate because it can help scientists understand the efficiency and effectiveness of a process, and identify any potential areas for improvement.

What are the units of measurement for force loss?

Force loss is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons (N) or pounds (lb). However, it can also be expressed as a percentage of the original force, which is unitless.

How do you calculate force loss?

To calculate force loss, you need to know the initial force and the final force. The formula for force loss is: (Initial Force - Final Force) / Initial Force. This will give you the force loss as a percentage or decimal value.

What are some common causes of force loss?

Force loss can be caused by a variety of factors, including friction, air resistance, and inefficiencies in a mechanical system. Other causes may include errors in measurements or calculations, or external forces acting on the system.

How can force loss be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce force loss, including minimizing friction and air resistance, using more efficient equipment or processes, and accurately measuring and calculating forces. Additionally, identifying and addressing any external forces acting on the system can also help reduce force loss.