Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Calculate for x and y

ladybutterz

Oct 29, 2013
Two rectangular tables are equal in area. The length of the first plot is on and a half times its width. The length of the second plot is seven (7) metre less than three times its width.

a) Denoting the width of the first plot by x meters and the width of the second plot by y meters, derive a relationship between x and y.

b) If y=x+1, calculate the values of x an y

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Can you show us what you have tried? Our helpers are better able to help if we can see exactly where you are stuck and what you have done. :D

ladybutterz

Oct 29, 2013
Can you show us what you have tried? Our helpers are better able to help if we can see exactly where you are stuck and what you have done. :D
thats the problem i really don't understand it i really don't know where to start mathematics is a little difficult for me at times

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Okay, let's look at what we are given:

Two rectangular tables are equal in area. The length of the first plot is one and a half times its width. The length of the second plot is seven (7) meters less than three times its width.

a) Denoting the width of the first plot by x meters and the width of the second plot by y meters, derive a relationship between x and y.

b) If y=x+1, calculate the values of x and y

For a rectangle, we know:

Area = Width times Length

For the first plot we are told:

The length of the first plot is one and a half times its width.

We are told to denote the width of the first plot by $x$. If the length is one and a half times the width, then how may we express the length of this first plot in terms of the width $x$?