Calculate Focal Length to Reduce Viewing Distance to 25cm

In summary, to calculate the focal length for reducing viewing distance to 25cm, you will need to know the object distance, image distance, and object size. This can be done using the formula: focal length = (object distance * image distance) / object size. Reducing the viewing distance to 25cm allows for a clearer and more detailed view of the object while reducing eye strain and fatigue. However, not all lenses can achieve this distance, as the focal length is directly related to the viewing distance. Other factors to consider when calculating the focal length include the type of lens, aperture size, and distance between the lens and the image sensor. This formula can be used for any desired viewing distance by replacing 25cm with the
v_pino

Homework Statement

A patient is unable to see objects closer than 1m from the eye. Calculate the focal length of the converging lens which is required to reduce this to 25cm.

Homework Equations

Lensmaker's equation: 1/u + 1/v = 1/f

u= distance from object to lens
v= distance of image to lens
f = focal length

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the above equation by substituting in u=1m, v=0.25m. But that doesn't help. The solution should be 33cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here the image is virtual.
So the formula should be
1/u - 1/v = 1/f.

Related to Calculate Focal Length to Reduce Viewing Distance to 25cm

1. How do I calculate the focal length to reduce my viewing distance to 25cm?

To calculate the focal length, you will need to know the object distance (distance between the object and the lens), the image distance (distance between the lens and the image), and the object size. Once you have this information, you can use the formula: focal length = (object distance * image distance) / object size.

2. What is the significance of reducing the viewing distance to 25cm?

Reducing the viewing distance to 25cm allows for a clearer and more detailed view of the object. It also helps reduce eye strain and fatigue.

3. Can I use any lens to achieve a viewing distance of 25cm?

No, the focal length of the lens is directly related to the viewing distance. You will need to use a lens with a specific focal length to achieve a viewing distance of 25cm.

4. What other factors should I consider when calculating the focal length?

Other factors to consider include the type of lens (e.g. convex, concave), the aperture size, and the distance between the lens and the image sensor (for digital cameras).

5. Can I use this formula for any viewing distance?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the focal length for any desired viewing distance. Simply replace the 25cm with your desired viewing distance in the formula.