Calculate final velocity of electric particle

In summary: I finally got it!In summary, a particle with a mass of 7.3 × 10−5 g and a charge of 24 mC moves in a uniform electric field of 6.3 N/C in the x direction. The initial velocity of the particle is 4.1 × 105 m/s in the y direction. Using the equations F=ma, F=qE, and v=vi + at, the speed of the particle at 0.4 s is calculated to be 1238493.151 m/s. Taking into account significant figures, the final answer is approximately 1.2 × 106 m/s. The discrepancy in the answer may be due to rounding errors and the large charge
beeteep

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 7.3 × 10−5 g and charge 24 mC moves in a region of space where the electric field is uniform and is 6.3 N/C in the x direction and zero in the y and z direction. If the initial velocity of the particle is given by vy = 4.1 × 105 m/s, vx = vz = 0, what is the speed of the particle at 0.4 s? Answer in units of m/s

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=qE
v=vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

m=7.3x10-8 kg
q=.024 C
E=6.3 N/C
F = .024(6.3) = .1512 N

.1512 = 7.3x10-8a
a = 2071232.877 m/s2x = doesn't matter
xi = doesn't matter
v = ?
vi = 4.1x10^5
a = 2071232.877
t = .4

v = vi + at
v = 4.1x105 + 2071232.877(.4) = 1238493.151 m/s

Final Answer = 1238493.151

But the system says it's wrong...
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ten significant figures?

The system is supposed to count your answer correct if you're within +/- 1% of the correct answer, so I err on the side of caution and put in every digit I have since it did not specify how many significant figures it wanted.

beeteep said:
charge 24 mC
Isn't that rather large? Should it be μC?

beeteep said:
v = vi + at
Yes, but not vxi+ayt.
Correction, I meant:
Yes, but not vyi+axt.

Likes beeteep
Most of the problems I have worked have been μC but I just double checked and this problem definitely says mC.

beeteep said:
Most of the problems I have worked have been μC but I just double checked and this problem definitely says mC.
OK, but please see the edit to my previous post.

OK. I think I see what you're saying. According to the problem statement, since the vyi is given and there is no force acting in the y-direction, vyf=vyi. Then I'd calculate the vxf with vxi=0 and include the acceleration for .4s which would give me two components to a vector, right? With that, I could take the square-root of (vx2 + vy2) and that would give me the speed?

beeteep said:
OK. I think I see what you're saying. According to the problem statement, since the vyi is given and there is no force acting in the y-direction, vyf=vyi. Then I'd calculate the vxf with vxi=0 and include the acceleration for .4s which would give me two components to a vector, right? With that, I could take the square-root of (vx2 + vy2) and that would give me the speed?
Yes.

Likes beeteep
Some heroes don't wear capes. :smile:

Thank you so much for your help!

Related to Calculate final velocity of electric particle

1. How do you calculate the final velocity of an electric particle?

The final velocity of an electric particle can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken.

2. What is the initial velocity of an electric particle?

The initial velocity of an electric particle is the velocity at which it starts moving or is released. It can be given in units of meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. How does the acceleration of an electric particle affect its final velocity?

The acceleration of an electric particle directly affects its final velocity. If the acceleration is positive, the final velocity will increase, and if the acceleration is negative, the final velocity will decrease. The magnitude of the acceleration also plays a role in determining the final velocity.

4. Can the final velocity of an electric particle be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of an electric particle can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. For example, if the initial velocity is 10 m/s and the final velocity is -5 m/s, the particle is moving in the negative direction with a speed of 5 m/s.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of the final velocity of an electric particle?

The calculation of the final velocity of an electric particle can be affected by factors such as changes in acceleration, external forces acting on the particle, and the presence of other particles in the environment. In addition, the accuracy of the measured values of initial velocity and time can also affect the final velocity calculation.