Calculate ΔU. n is constant. V, T and p change

In summary: Understand the problem fully and clearly.* Understand what is being asked for.* Understand what information is provided.* Understand that the internal energy is a physical property of the material, and that for an ideal gas the change in internal energy is given by ##mC_vΔT##, irrespective of the changes in pressure and volume.* Understand that, for any process, the work W is given by ##\int{P_{ext}dV}##, and that P= Pext only if the process is reversible.* Understand that the change in internal energy ΔU is given by ΔU=Q-W, and that, for an adiabatic process there is no change in heat Q.Chet
jamesrb

Homework Statement

Calculate ΔU when 1.00 mol of H2 goes from 1.00 atm, 10.0 L, and 295 K to 0.793 atm, 15.0 L, and 350 K.

Homework Equations

ΔU = q + w
q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

From the moles of H2 we can get the mass of H2 and use q=mcΔT.
1.00 mol H2=(2.0158 g H2/1 mol H2)=2.0158 g H2
Thus:
q=mcΔT
q=(2.0158 g)(14.314J/mol*K)(55K)
q=1586 J

The answer section in my book says ΔU = 1590 J. My answer is close enough but what about w? The problem doesn't explicitly say the gas is subject to a constant external pressure so I can't use w=pextΔV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does your book say that ΔU = 1590 J, or q = 1590 J?

ΔU ≠q

=================================

Work is calculated with this integral:

[itex]W = \int_{V_1}^{V_2} p\,dv[/itex]

Which means you need to find a formula for pressure, because it is not constant.

Last edited:
I would assume answer in the book is identical to your answer - it is just rounded to follow the number of significant digits given in the problem. All numbers are given to 3 sf, your answer gives 4.

This is follow-up to what TheOrange said. In this problem, q is not equal to ΔU. The equation you wrote for q should really be the equation for ΔU. In the ideal gas region, ΔU=mCvΔT always, irrespective of whether the volume is constant, since Cv is defined by the equation:

[tex]mC_v=\frac{∂U}{∂T}[/tex]

Chet

Look at an ideal gas, the formula below may be helpful as well:

[itex]P*V^n = constant[/itex]

theOrange said:
Look at an ideal gas, the formula below may be helpful as well:

[itex]P*V^n = constant[/itex]
He was only asked to determine ΔU, not the work or the heat.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
He was only asked to determine ΔU, not the work or the heat.

Chet

[itex]\Delta U = Q - W[/itex]

Which btw he already posted as a relevant equation...

theOrange said:
[itex]\Delta U = Q - W[/itex]

Which btw he already posted as a relevant equation...
He may have posted this as a relevant equation, but it is obviously not needed for this problem. For any ideal gas,
[tex]ΔU=mC_vΔT[/tex]
and, in this problem,
m=1 mole
Cv=28.836 J/(mole K)
ΔT=55 K

The clear purpose of this exercise was to test the understanding of the student to determine whether he was aware that, for an ideal gas, the change in internal energy could be calculated from ##ΔU=mC_vΔT##, irrespective of the changes in pressure and volume.

In any case, there certainly isn't enough information provided to determine either Q or W, particularly since no indication is given of whether the process is reversible or irreversible.

In thermo, it is very important to recognize that the internal energy is a physical property of the material.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
He may have posted this as a relevant equation, but it is obviously not needed for this problem. For any ideal gas,
[tex]ΔU=mC_vΔT[/tex]
and, in this problem,
m=1 mole
Cv=28.836 J/(mole K)
ΔT=55 K

The clear purpose of this exercise was to test the understanding of the student to determine whether he was aware that, for an ideal gas, the change in internal energy could be calculated from ##ΔU=mC_vΔT##, irrespective of the changes in pressure and volume.

In any case, there certainly isn't enough information provided to determine either Q or W, particularly since no indication is given of whether the process is reversible or irreversible.

In thermo, it is very important to recognize that the internal energy is a physical property of the material.

Chet

He asked himself, "My answer is close enough but what about w? The problem doesn't explicitly say the gas is subject to a constant external pressure so I can't use w=pextΔV."

So I was just trying to help by saying that he needs to find a formula for P (since it isn't constant), and that W is an integral.

theOrange said:
He asked himself, "My answer is close enough but what about w? The problem doesn't explicitly say the gas is subject to a constant external pressure so I can't use w=pextΔV."

So I was just trying to help by saying that he needs to find a formula for P (since it isn't constant), and that W is an integral.

It was already pointed out by Borek in post #3 with regard to the comparison between the book and the OP's calculation, that the OP was dealing with a significant figures issue.

The work W is always equal to ##\int{P_{ext}dV}##, irrespective of whether the process is reversible or irreversible. However, we can be certain that Pext=P (with P determined from the equation of state for the material) only if the process is reversible.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It was already pointed out by Borek in post #3 with regard to the comparison between the book and the OP's calculation, that the OP was dealing with a significant figures issue.

The work W is always equal to ##\int{P_{ext}dV}##, irrespective of whether the process is reversible or irreversible. However, we can be certain that Pext=P (with P determined from the equation of state for the material) only if the process is reversible.

Chet

Chet, seriously what are you talking about. What Borek said had nothing to do with what I said. The formula for work using [itex]\Delta V[/itex] does not work in this case because P is not constant. Therefore I was letting him know he needs to use the integral form and find an equation for P. Which can be found using the ideal gas formula. I also said that it MIGHT be helpful.

I really don't see what the problem is. To avoid spamming this topic even more maybe you should just message me, if this is SO important to you.

theOrange said:
Chet, seriously what are you talking about. What Borek said had nothing to do with what I said. The formula for work using [itex]\Delta V[/itex] does not work in this case because P is not constant. Therefore I was letting him know he needs to use the integral form and find an equation for P. Which can be found using the ideal gas formula. I also said that it MIGHT be helpful.

I really don't see what the problem is. To avoid spamming this topic even more maybe you should just message me, if this is SO important to you.
It is important to me, because I didn't want the OP to get confused. But I like your idea about discussing this in private messages so that we can reach a consensus. Then we can report back jointly to the thread. Is this agreeable to you?

Chet

Related to Calculate ΔU. n is constant. V, T and p change

What is ΔU?

ΔU is the change in internal energy of a system.

What does it mean when n is constant?

When n is constant, it means that the number of moles of gas in the system remains constant.

How do V, T, and p affect ΔU?

V, T, and p all affect ΔU because they are variables that can change the internal energy of a system. An increase in volume (V) or temperature (T) will result in an increase in internal energy, while an increase in pressure (p) will result in a decrease in internal energy.

Can you calculate ΔU if only one of the variables (V, T, or p) changes?

Yes, it is possible to calculate ΔU if only one of the variables changes. However, in order to calculate it accurately, the values of the other variables must be known or assumed to remain constant.

What is the equation for calculating ΔU when n is constant and V, T, and p change?

The equation for calculating ΔU when n is constant and V, T, and p change is ΔU = nCvΔT, where n is the number of moles of gas, Cv is the molar heat capacity at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.