Calculate Definite Integral of arcos(tanx) from -pi/4 to pi/4

In summary, the definite integral of arcos(tanx) dx from -pi/4 to pi/4 can be evaluated using a substitution and integration by parts, resulting in a value of approximately 2.46740110027234.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Calculate this definite integral?

Definite integral of arcos(tanx) dx from -pi/4 to pi/4
I know this isn't an easy antiderivative but my professor said there was a easy trick to compute this nonetheless.

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Jeremy,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \cos^{-1}\left(\tan(x) \right)\,dx\)

Consider the following substitution:

\(\displaystyle w=\tan(x)\,\therefore\,dw=\sec^2(x)\,dx\)

But, if we square the substitution and apply a Pythagorean identity, we find:

\(\displaystyle w^2=\tan^2(x)=\sec^2(x)-1\implies \sec^2(x)=w^2+1\)

And so we may state:

\(\displaystyle dx=\frac{1}{w^2+1}\,dw\)

And so our definite integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{\cos^{-1}(w)}{w^2+1}\,dw\)

Applying integration by parts, let:

\(\displaystyle u=\cos^{-1}(w)\,\therefore\,du=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-w^2}}\,dw\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\frac{1}{w^2+1}\,dw\,\therefore\,v=\tan^{-1}(w)\)

Hence, we may state:

\(\displaystyle I=\left[\cos^{-1}(w)\tan^{-1}(w) \right]_{-1}^{1}+\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{\tan^{-1}(w)}{\sqrt{1-w^2}}\,dw\)

Now, observing that the remaining integrand is odd and the limits symmetric, we know it's value is zero, and so we are left with:

\(\displaystyle I=0\cdot\frac{\pi}{4}-\pi\left(-\frac{\pi}{4} \right)=\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)^2\approx2.46740110027234\)

Related to Calculate Definite Integral of arcos(tanx) from -pi/4 to pi/4

1. How do you calculate the definite integral of arcos(tanx) from -pi/4 to pi/4?

To calculate the definite integral of arcos(tanx) from -pi/4 to pi/4, we first need to rewrite the function using trigonometric identities. We can rewrite arcos(tanx) as arctan(secx), and then use the formula for the integral of arctan to solve the definite integral.

2. What is the importance of the limits of integration in this definite integral?

The limits of integration, which in this case are -pi/4 and pi/4, determine the range of values we are integrating over. In other words, they tell us the starting and ending points for the integration. In order to get an accurate result for the definite integral, it is important to use the correct limits of integration.

3. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this integral, such as substitution or integration by parts. However, using the trigonometric identity to rewrite the function and then using the formula for the integral of arctan is the most straightforward approach.

4. What is the significance of the function arcos(tanx) in mathematics?

The function arcos(tanx) is significant in mathematics because it is an inverse trigonometric function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the ratios of its sides. It is also used in various applications such as in physics and engineering.

5. How can the definite integral of arcos(tanx) from -pi/4 to pi/4 be applied in real life?

The definite integral of arcos(tanx) from -pi/4 to pi/4 can be applied in real life situations where the angle of inclination and the length of a slope are known. For example, it can be used in construction to calculate the angle of a roof or the slope of a road. It can also be used in navigation to determine the angle of a ship's path.