Calculate current in one resistor in RC circuit

In summary: You just said the capacitor current is zero, and if they are in series...Can the current through two components in series be... "different"? You just said the capacitor current is zero, and if they are in series...No, they would have to be the same. So the current in R2 is zero?In summary, the capacitor is initially uncharged when the switch is closed for a long time, and after reaching a steady state, the current through R2 will be zero, as it is in series with the capacitor and no current will flow through it at steady state. The potential difference across R1, R2, and R3 can be calculated using Kirchoff's rules and the equations V
hopkinmn

Homework Statement

The capacitor is initially uncharged when the switch is closed for a long time. Calculate the current through R2.
Then find the potential difference across R1, R2, and R3

Homework Equations

V=IR
Iin=Iout

The Attempt at a Solution

I first set up current going into top node (I1) equal to the sume of the currents leaving that node (I2 and I3). So I1=I2+I3. I set voltage of the battery equal to V.
Then, I used Kirchoff's rules and the following equations 0=-R1*I1-R3*I3+V and R3*I3=R2*I2 to get I2=10/13, I3=5/13, and I1=15/13.

For the potential differences I found V2=V3=40/13V and V1=90/13V
So the sum of the potential differences across the resistors is equal to the voltage on the battery.

But if this is true, that means that the capacitor does not have a potential difference. But is this true? Or would there be no voltage on R2 and instead have voltage on the capacitor?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 8.38.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 8.38.36 PM.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 579
Physics news on Phys.org
hopkinmn said:

Homework Statement

The capacitor is initially uncharged when the switch is closed for a long time. Calculate the current through R2.
Then find the potential difference across R1, R2, and R3

Homework Equations

V=IR
Iin=Iout

The Attempt at a Solution

I first set up current going into top node (I1) equal to the sume of the currents leaving that node (I2 and I3). So I1=I2+I3. I set voltage of the battery equal to V.
Then, I used Kirchoff's rules and the following equations 0=-R1*I1-R3*I3+V and R3*I3=R2*I2 to get I2=10/13, I3=5/13, and I1=15/13.

For the potential differences I found V2=V3=40/13V and V1=90/13V
So the sum of the potential differences across the resistors is equal to the voltage on the battery.

But if this is true, that means that the capacitor does not have a potential difference. But is this true? Or would there be no voltage on R2 and instead have voltage on the capacitor?

Hi hopkinmn, welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you clarify the problem statement a bit? It appears that the capacitor should have a charge when the switch is closed for a long time. So how can it be uncharged when the switch is closed for a long time?

At what time is the current through R2 supposed to be calculated: when the switch is open, when it's first closed, or a long time after the switch is closed?

Yes, it does have the charge shown in the diagram. I meant to say that before the switch is closed, the capacitor is uncharged.

R2 is supposed to be calculated long after the switch is closed.

Thanks!

Okay, so after a long time has passed the capacitor will have reached its final voltage as determined by the surrounding circuit elements. What will be the current in the capacitor branch?

hopkinmn said:
R2 is supposed to be calculated long after the switch is closed.
You are wanting to determine the DC current in R2 long after the switch has been closed?

gneill said:
Okay, so after a long time has passed the capacitor will have reached its final voltage as determined by the surrounding circuit elements. What will be the current in the capacitor branch?

Wouldn't it be the same as the current in R2?

NascentOxygen said:
You are wanting to determine the DC current in R2 long after the switch has been closed?

Yes, I believe so

hopkinmn said:
As the R and C are in series, their currents will be the same.

NascentOxygen said:
As the R and C are in series, their currents will be the same.

Yes, but the way I found R2 was by saying R2*I2=R3*I3, since parallel currents are equal. But is this true? Would there be voltage from the capacitor that I need to include, making the equation R2*I2 + V(capacitor)=R3*I3?

If so, I'm not sure how to solve the problem (using Vcapacitor=Q/C), since charge is not given

hopkinmn said:

Yes, but that observation is not particularly helpful :smile: What value will it have?

What have you learned about the behavior of capacitors and inductors when they reach steady state?

gneill said:
Yes, but that observation is not particularly helpful :smile: What value will it have?

What have you learned about the behavior of capacitors and inductors when they reach steady state?

Doesn't the capacitor have a constant voltage after it's reached a steady state?

hopkinmn said:
Yes, but the way I found R2 was by saying R2*I2=R3*I3, since parallel currents are equal. But is this true? Would there be voltage from the capacitor that I need to include, making the equation R2*I2 + V(capacitor)=R3*I3?

If so, I'm not sure how to solve the problem (using Vcapacitor=Q/C), since charge is not given

Yes, but you're talking about different circuit conditions. In your first post you had assumed that the capacitor was uncharged (and so behaved as a short circuit --- as though it were just a piece of wire), so that put R2 and R3 in parallel. In the present case the circuit has reached steady state so the capacitor is charged to some constant voltage. NO CURRENT will flow into or out of the capacitor at steady state.

gneill said:
Yes, but you're talking about different circuit conditions. In your first post you had assumed that the capacitor was uncharged (and so behaved as a short circuit --- as though it were just a piece of wire), so that put R2 and R3 in parallel. In the present case the circuit has reached steady state so the capacitor is charged to some constant voltage. NO CURRENT will flow into or out of the capacitor at steady state.

So if no current flows into or out of the capacitor at a steady state, does that mean the current in R2 is zero as well?

hopkinmn said:
So if no current flows into or out of the capacitor at a steady state, does that mean the current in R2 is zero as well?

Can the current through two components in series be different?

hopkinmn said:
Yes, but the way I found R2 was by saying R2*I2=R3*I3, since parallel [strike]currents[/strike] voltages are equal. But is this true?

It's true now. :wink: This applies only to the start-up situation, when the capacitor is uncharged.

gneill said:
Can the current through two components in series be different?

No, I guess not. Thanks for helping me work this out!

NascentOxygen said:
It's true now. :wink: This applies only to the start-up situation, when the capacitor is uncharged.

Oops, yes, you are right! Thanks!

hopkinmn said:
No, I guess not. Thanks for helping me work this out!

No problem, glad to help.

The basic things to know for these sorts of problem include:

1. Current is the same in series components
2. Voltage is the same across parallel components
3. Capacitors don't change their charges (or potential differences) instantaneously, so capacitors initially behave like short circuits to sudden changes.
4. Inductors don't change their currents instantaneously, so inductors initially behave like open circuits to sudden changes.
5. At steady state capacitors behave like open circuits
6. At steady state inductors behave like short circuits

Related to Calculate current in one resistor in RC circuit

1. How do I calculate the current in one resistor in an RC circuit?

The current in one resistor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula: I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The capacitor stores electrical charge and the resistor controls the flow of current in the circuit.

3. How does a capacitor affect the current in an RC circuit?

A capacitor can affect the current in an RC circuit by storing electrical charge and releasing it over time, which can cause a change in the flow of current. In a DC circuit, the capacitor can block the flow of current until it is fully charged, after which it allows the current to flow through the circuit.

4. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly a capacitor charges or discharges in the circuit. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads, and is represented by the symbol τ (tau).

5. What factors can affect the current in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit can be affected by factors such as the voltage source, the resistance of the resistor, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the type of material used in the construction of the circuit components. Additionally, the frequency and type of current (AC or DC) can also impact the current in an RC circuit.