Calculate CO2 Dissolved in 5M KOH Solution | Pressure & Temp

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2 Design
In summary, the conversation discusses the dissolution of CO2 in a 5M aqueous solution of potassium hydroxide at high pressure and low temperature. The optimal temperature and pressure for this process are also mentioned. The conversation also mentions the consideration of Ka values and activity changes in the solution. The system is capable of absorbing enough CO2, but exact calculations may be difficult due to factors such as equilibrium and ionic strength.
nst.john
Can someone tell me how much CO2 I could dissolve in a 5M aqueous solution of potassium hydroxide and how to calculate this? This would be done at high pressure and low temperature, and if you can tell me what temperature and pressure would be optimal and why, or how to figure that out.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start treating it as a simple stoichiometry problem.

Should I take into account Ka values and all that?

By the way this is not a homework problem it is for a project I'm sorry I didn't specify

It is homework like, so it belongs in homework.

System is definitely capable of absorbing enough CO2 to turn all KOH into potassium carbonate, and then some to turn potassium carbonate into hydrogen carbonate. For the latter step yes, you should take into account Ka2 and Henry's law.

But a lot depends on the system, whether it is allowed to get to equilibrium, plus you would need to take into account activity changes in the solution with ionic strength of over 7. The latter alone is enough to make any exact calculations difficult if not impossible.

Sounds good thanks a lot.

Related to Calculate CO2 Dissolved in 5M KOH Solution | Pressure & Temp

What is the purpose of calculating CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) dissolved in a 5M potassium hydroxide (KOH) solution at a specific pressure and temperature. This information is important in various fields such as environmental science, chemistry, and engineering.

How do you calculate the amount of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution?

To calculate the amount of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution, you will need to use the Henry's Law equation, which states that the concentration of a gas in a solution is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas above the solution. You will also need to know the temperature and pressure of the solution, as well as the Henry's Law constant for CO2 in KOH.

What factors can affect the amount of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution?

The amount of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution can be affected by the temperature and pressure of the solution, as well as the concentration of KOH and the partial pressure of CO2. Other factors such as agitation, the presence of other dissolved substances, and the pH of the solution can also have an impact on the amount of CO2 that can dissolve.

What are the units used to express the amount of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution?

The amount of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution is typically expressed in units of mol/L or mmol/L (molarity or millimolarity) or mg/L (milligrams per liter). These units represent the concentration of CO2 in the solution, which can be converted to other units such as ppm (parts per million) or % (percentage) as needed.

How can the calculation of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution be useful in research and applications?

The calculation of CO2 dissolved in a 5M KOH solution can be useful in understanding the solubility of CO2 in alkaline solutions, as well as in designing and optimizing processes that involve the absorption or removal of CO2 from gas streams. This information can also be valuable in environmental monitoring and in studying the effects of CO2 on aquatic ecosystems.