Calculate Christoffel Symbols of 2D Metric

In summary, the equations you have mentioned are for calculating the christoffel symbols, but they are only for two dimensions.
Ryomega

Homework Statement

Consider metric ds2 = dx2 + x3 dy2 for 2D space.
Calculate all non-zero christoffel symbols of metric.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]jik = [itex]\partial[/itex]ei / [itex]\partial[/itex] xk [itex]\times[/itex] ej

The Attempt at a Solution

Christoffel symbols, by definition, takes the partial of each vector basis with respect to component (in this case xk).

So my instinct tells me to differentiate the metric with respect to x and y. Which would give me:

metric differentiated with respect to (x) = 3x2 x1

metric differentiated with respect to (y) = 0 x2

Did I do this right or did I get this completely wrong? If I have done it wrong, please explain.

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation for calculating the christoffel symbols from the partial derivatives of the components of the metric tensor? Alternatively, for this problem,

ex=ix

ey=x(3/2)iy

and

ex=ix

ey=x(-3/2)iy

where ix and iy are unit vectors in the x- and y-directions, respectively.

Last edited:
Hello! Thank you for the quick reply!

The equation you have mentioned, the only equation I am aware of for relating christoffel symbols to the metric is:

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]Lab = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] gLc (gac;b + gcb;a - gba;c)

I'm having a hard time understanding the indices, thus just how to use this equation correctly. I'll give it a go and see if I can't arrive at the same answer.

Thanks again!

Ryomega said:
Hello! Thank you for the quick reply!

The equation you have mentioned, the only equation I am aware of for relating christoffel symbols to the metric is:

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]Lab = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] gLc (gac;b + gcb;a - gba;c)

I'm having a hard time understanding the indices, thus just how to use this equation correctly. I'll give it a go and see if I can't arrive at the same answer.

Thanks again!
Those should be commas (indicating partial differentiation), not semicolons.
For this problem, it would probably be easier to use your original formula. There are only two dimensions, so there are going to be only 8 gammas to evaluate. Either way, it shouldn't be much work.

chet

Your approach to calculating the Christoffel symbols is correct. However, you have only calculated the partial derivatives of the metric, not the Christoffel symbols themselves.

To calculate the Christoffel symbols, you need to use the formula \Gamma^j_{ik} = \frac{1}{2} g^{jl} (\partial_i g_{lk} + \partial_k g_{li} - \partial_l g_{ik}), where g^{jl} is the inverse of the metric g_{jl}. In this case, the inverse metric is simply g^{jl} = \delta^{jl}, since the metric is diagonal. Therefore, the Christoffel symbols can be calculated as:

\Gamma^1_{11} = \frac{1}{2} g^{11} (\partial_1 g_{11} + \partial_1 g_{11} - \partial_1 g_{11}) = \frac{1}{2} \delta^{11} (3x^2) = \frac{3}{2}x^2

\Gamma^1_{22} = \frac{1}{2} g^{11} (\partial_2 g_{12} + \partial_2 g_{21} - \partial_1 g_{22}) = \frac{1}{2} \delta^{11} (0 + 0 - 0) = 0

\Gamma^2_{11} = \frac{1}{2} g^{22} (\partial_1 g_{21} + \partial_1 g_{12} - \partial_2 g_{11}) = \frac{1}{2} \delta^{22} (0 + 0 - 3x^2) = -\frac{3}{2}x^2

\Gamma^2_{22} = \frac{1}{2} g^{22} (\partial_2 g_{22} + \partial_2 g_{22} - \partial_2 g_{22}) = \frac{1}{2} \delta^{22} (0 + 0 - 0) = 0

Therefore, the non-zero Christoffel symbols for this metric are \Gamma^1_{11} = \frac{3}{2}x^2 and \Gamma^2_{11} = -\frac{3}{2}x^2.

Related to Calculate Christoffel Symbols of 2D Metric

1. What are Christoffel symbols in the context of 2D metric calculations?

Christoffel symbols are a set of coefficients that are used to describe the curvature of a 2D space. In the context of metric calculations, they represent the connection between the metric tensor and the coordinate system used to describe the space.

2. How are Christoffel symbols calculated in 2D metric calculations?

To calculate Christoffel symbols in 2D metric calculations, you first need to determine the metric tensor for the given space. Then, you can use the formula Γαμν = (1/2) gαβ (gβμ,ν + gβν,μ - gμν,β) to find the individual symbols.

3. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in 2D metric calculations?

Christoffel symbols are significant in 2D metric calculations because they provide information about the curvature and geometry of a space. They are also important in general relativity, as they are used to calculate the geodesic equations that describe the paths of particles in curved spaces.

4. Can Christoffel symbols be calculated for any 2D space?

Yes, Christoffel symbols can be calculated for any 2D space that has a metric tensor defined. However, the calculations may become more complicated for spaces with non-Euclidean geometries.

5. How are Christoffel symbols used in practical applications?

Christoffel symbols have various practical applications, including in physics and engineering. They are used in general relativity to describe the curvature of space-time and in navigation systems to calculate the shortest paths between two points on a curved surface.