Calculate Charge Flow in Lenz's Law Induction Problem | Earth's Magnetic Field

In summary, a flat horizontal circular coil of wire with a radius of 10.0 cm, 1000 turns, and a total resistance of 55.5 Ω is flipped through a half-revolution about a diameter in Earth's magnetic field with a magnitude of 0.590 gauss and an inclination of 77.5° to the horizontal. Using Ohm's Law and Faraday's Law, the charge flowing through the meter during the flip can be calculated by expressing dq/dt in terms of dphi/dt and the resistance and integrating both sides of the equation with respect to time, resulting in a value of 1.85e-5.
longk

Homework Statement

At a certain place, Earth's magnetic field has magnitude B = 0.590 gauss and is inclined downward at an angle of 77.5° to the horizontal. A flat horizontal circular coil of wire with a radius of 10.0 cm has 1000 turns and a total resistance of 55.5 . It is connected in series to a meter with 140 resistance. The coil is flipped through a half-revolution about a diameter, so that it is again horizontal. How much charge flows through the meter during the flip?

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\int[/tex](B)(da)cos [tex]\theta[/tex]
emf=-N([tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex])
i=[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

now since i don't know how to approach the problem myself, i was thinking along the lines of using farady's law to find the change of the flux from the initial position to when end point and from there getting the emf and with the induced emf the current and from the current the amount of charges that flow through the wire, i was thinking of going that way but since the time is not given or any angular speed and such i have no other clue on how to approach the problem, i don't know if this counts as an attempt since I'm a bit of a noob here but if it doesn't ok
is this problem able to be solved without mention of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't actually need to compute the EMF to find the total charge that flows through the loop (which is a good thing, because all you are able to calculate are the initial and final fluxes--- you have no idea how quickly the loop flips).

Instead, use Ohm's Law and Faraday's Law together to help you express dq/dt in terms of dphi/dt and the resistance in the loop. Then integrate both sides of your expression with respect to time, from sometime before the flip, to sometime after the flip...what does that give you?

i was thinking along the same lines using the combination of ohms law and farady's law but i can never get the right answer, for work i tried this approach

V=IR EMF=-N[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

IR=-N[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]R=-N[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]R=-N[tex]\frac{d(BAcos(\theta))}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]R=-NBA[tex]\frac{dcos(\theta))}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]R=NBAsin([tex]\theta)[/tex][tex]\frac{d(\theta))}{dt}[/tex]

change the dq/dt and d([tex]\theta[/tex])/dt into delta and go from there, the delta t will cancel out and i cen get an expression for just delta q but every time i try my answer is off, i get 6.44e-6 when the correct is 1.85e-5 is my approach correct, oh yeah if my approach is in any way correct do i use degrees or radians because for this i use radians for delta [tex]\theta[/tex]

The charge is independant of the time so the dt on each side of the equation can be cancelled.When you integrate you should find that the charge is equal to the change of flux linkage divided by R.

yeah now i see thanks guys, i was going the wrong way, i had to integrate not use delta

Related to Calculate Charge Flow in Lenz's Law Induction Problem | Earth's Magnetic Field

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always be such as to oppose the change that produced it.

2. How is Lenz's Law related to Earth's magnetic field?

Lenz's Law is related to Earth's magnetic field because the Earth's magnetic field induces an electric field in a moving conductor. This induced electric field follows Lenz's Law and opposes the change in the Earth's magnetic field.

3. How do you calculate charge flow in Lenz's Law induction problem?

To calculate charge flow in Lenz's Law induction problem, you can use the equation Q = B * l * v * sin(theta). Q represents the charge flow, B is the strength of the magnetic field, l is the length of the conductor, v is the velocity of the conductor, and theta is the angle between the direction of the conductor's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What is the role of Earth's magnetic field in Lenz's Law induction problem?

The Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in Lenz's Law induction problem. It is responsible for inducing an electric field in a moving conductor, which follows Lenz's Law and opposes the change in the Earth's magnetic field. This effect is used in many important applications, such as generators and motors.

5. Can Lenz's Law be applied to any type of conductor?

Yes, Lenz's Law can be applied to any type of conductor, as long as it is moving in a magnetic field. This can include metals, liquids, and even gases. As long as there is relative motion between the conductor and the magnetic field, Lenz's Law will apply.