Calculate Change in Q(K,L) w/ Partial Derivatives Given

In summary, we have a production function Q(K,L) without a given equation but with partial derivatives provided. We can use these partial derivatives to calculate the derivative at a specific point (10,L) and to approximate the change in produced units when K remains 10 and L changes from 5 to 10. Alternatively, we can also calculate the exact change by substituting the variables and integrating.
Orion2
Production function Q(K,L) without equation

However partial derivatives are given

Partial derivatives:

Q(K,L) = (K^2 - KL + L^2)/(K+L) + 4K . ln(K+L) Derivative to K
Q(K,L) =( K^2 + L^2) / (K+ L) Dervative to L

A. Calculate the derivative in point (10,L)

If I am correct this is Q'(10,L) = (100 + L^2) / (10 + L)

B. Calculate the change in Produced units when K remains 10 and L changes from 5 tot 10.

I know: Delta Q = Integral (from 5 to 10) [(100 + L^2) / (L + 10) dL]

This will give the right answer. But we have to calculate it with a simple calculator and I can't work out this integral by hand. Is there a alternative way to calculate this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Orion said:
Production function Q(K,L) without equation

However partial derivatives are given

Partial derivatives:

Q(K,L) = (K^2 - KL + L^2)/(K+L) + 4K . ln(K+L) Derivative to K
Q(K,L) =( K^2 + L^2) / (K+ L) Dervative to L

A. Calculate the derivative in point (10,L)

If I am correct this is Q'(10,L) = (100 + L^2) / (10 + L)

Hi Orion! Welcome to MHB! ;)

The derivative would be both partial derivatives.
That is:
$$DQ(10, L) = \begin{pmatrix}(100 - 10L + L^2)/(10+L) + 40 \ln(10+L) \\ ( 100 + L^2) / (10+ L) \end{pmatrix}$$

B. Calculate the change in Produced units when K remains 10 and L changes from 5 tot 10.

I know: Delta Q = Integral (from 5 to 10) [(100 + L^2) / (L + 10) dL]

This will give the right answer. But we have to calculate it with a simple calculator and I can't work out this integral by hand. Is there a alternative way to calculate this?

Thanks!

We can approximate it based on the partial derivative:
$$\Delta Q = \int_5^{10} \frac{100 + L^2}{L + 10} \, dL \approx \frac{100 + L^2}{L + 10} \cdot (10-5) $$

Or we can calculate it exactly by substituting $u=L+10 \Rightarrow L=u-10 \Rightarrow dL=du$:
$$\Delta Q = \int_5^{10} \frac{100 + L^2}{L + 10} \, dL
= \int_{15}^{20} \frac{100 + (u-10)^2}{u}\,du
= \int_{15}^{20} \left(\frac{200}{u} + u - 20\right)\,du
= \left.200 \ln u + \frac 12u^2 - 20u \right|_{15}^{20}
$$

Related to Calculate Change in Q(K,L) w/ Partial Derivatives Given

1. How do I calculate the change in Q(K,L) with partial derivatives?

To calculate the change in Q(K,L) with partial derivatives, you will need to use the partial derivative formula. This involves taking the partial derivative of Q with respect to K and L, and then multiplying them by the change in K and L, respectively. The sum of these two values will give you the change in Q(K,L).

2. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives in this calculation?

Partial derivatives are used to calculate the change in a function with respect to one particular variable, while holding all other variables constant. In this case, we are interested in the change in Q(K,L) with respect to K and L, while keeping all other factors constant.

3. Can I use this calculation for any function?

Yes, you can use this calculation for any function that has multiple variables. However, it is most commonly used in economics and other fields that involve optimizing a function.

4. What is the relationship between partial derivatives and total derivatives?

Partial derivatives only consider the change in a function with respect to one variable, while holding all others constant. Total derivatives, on the other hand, consider the change in a function with respect to all variables, and take into account how changes in one variable may affect another. In this calculation, we are only concerned with partial derivatives.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives in this calculation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using partial derivatives. This calculation assumes that the function is continuous and differentiable, and that the change in K and L is small enough to approximate the change in Q(K,L). Additionally, it may not accurately capture nonlinear relationships between variables.