Calculate change in air pressure (Physics 101 type Q)

In summary, if a car drives over a hose with a static pressure of 0 PSI, the pressure inside the hose will increase to 44.7 PSI.
rdy4trvl
I'd like to calculate the change in air pressure within a long tube - like the driveway hoses at gas stations.

The static pressure is zero, a vehicle drives over the hose and the increase in pressure activates a switch. I'm trying to determine the proper switch size (in PSI).

So, here is my attempt to start solving this (simple) problem...
  • The hose is 1/2" (interior diameter) by 20 feet long. I calculate the cubic inches to be 47.1 (3.14 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 240 inches).
  • If a vehicle drives over the hose, (say 12" of hose is compressed flat, for simplicity), then the cubic inches become 44.7 (3.14 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 228 inches). (If the two wheels don't hit at the same time, this could certainly change the results...but let's just keep it simple for now - one wheel, evenly compressed hose.)
  • Volume of air decreases from 47.1 cubic in (CI) to 44.7 CI...how is this converted to a change in air pressure (assuming 47.1 was at 0 PSI)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At constant temperature the pressure * volume stays the same.
So if you decrease the volume by 10% the pressure goes up by 10%.

ps. The pressure in the pipe is 15psi - the same as outside air.
The 'gauge pressure' (PSG), ie the extra internal pressure, is zero.

Just to make sure I got this right...
In my example, the volume (of air in a tube capped at both ends) decreases from 47.1 to 44.7 or 5.1%...
Then the pressure would have increased 0.76 PSI (15PSI x 5.1%)
And I would need a switch able to detect < 1PSI increase in pressure.
...sounds logical...is it correct?

Correct
Ideally you would like to measure a rate-of-change of pressure, then you don't have to worry about the absolute pressure in the pipe changing with temperature or slow leaks etc.
The change in pressure with time as a car rolls over it should be pretty noticeable.

Great!
Thanks for the help...and additional considerations (temp., leaks, etc...had not considered...yet!).

Related to Calculate change in air pressure (Physics 101 type Q)

1. How do you calculate the change in air pressure?

To calculate the change in air pressure, you need to know the initial air pressure and the final air pressure. Then, you can use the formula: change in air pressure = final air pressure - initial air pressure.

2. What is the unit of measurement for air pressure?

The unit of measurement for air pressure is usually in pascals (Pa), but it can also be measured in other units such as atmospheres (atm) or millibars (mb).

3. What factors can cause a change in air pressure?

Air pressure can change due to changes in temperature, altitude, and weather conditions such as high or low pressure systems.

4. How does air pressure affect the weather?

Air pressure is closely related to weather patterns. High air pressure usually indicates clear and dry weather, while low air pressure can bring precipitation and storms. Changes in air pressure can also indicate the movement of weather systems.

5. What are the instruments used to measure air pressure?

The most common instruments used to measure air pressure are barometers. There are two types of barometers: mercury and aneroid. Other instruments such as digital pressure sensors and weather balloons can also be used to measure air pressure.