Calculate Bending of Light: Find the Middle Point

In summary: I didnt mean only solution the way I have given in my example...I mean a sum over double series or any weird series looking solution...According to Mathematica the first several terms are:\frac{\theta }{\sqrt{1-\frac{3 a}{2}}}-\frac{a \theta ^3}{16 \left(1-\frac{3 a}{2}\right)^{3/2}}+\frac{a (3 a+16) \theta ^5}{320 \sqrt{4-6 a} (2-3 a)^2}+\frac{a \left(-477 a^2+816 a-32\right) \
vaibhavtewari
Hello,

while solving bending of light problem, where I shoot a light ray from one tower to other. How much light has fallen upto the middle point ? I was able to reduce the eq to

[tex]\phi=\int[1-a(\cos\theta+\frac{1}{1+\cos \theta})]^{-1/2}d\theta[/tex]

a is very small, also if there is no gravity "a" will be zero.

Is there a way I can express this integral as a series ? the first term being [tex]\phi=\theta+...[/tex]

I tried expanding the square root but the higher order integrals become ugly. I was hoping to find a neat looking series..please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you substitute [itex]\theta = \delta\theta + \theta[/itex] where [itex]\delta\theta[/itex] is a small quantity then you can do a Taylor series expansion about [itex]\delta\theta=0[/itex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{a (-\cos (\theta ))-\frac{a}{\cos (\theta )+1}+1}}+\delta \theta
\left(\frac{a \sin (\theta )}{2 (\cos (\theta )+1)^2 \left(a (-\cos (\theta
))-\frac{a}{\cos (\theta )+1}+1\right)^{3/2}}-\frac{a \sin (\theta )}{2 \left(a
(-\cos (\theta ))-\frac{a}{\cos (\theta )+1}+1\right)^{3/2}}\right)+O^2[/tex]

Since both [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]\delta\theta[/itex] are small quantities then their product is second order, so this reduces to

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{a (-\cos (\theta ))-\frac{a}{\cos (\theta )+1}+1}}+O^2[/tex]

Thankyou for your effort, [tex]\theta[/tex] itself is very small as [tex]\phi[/tex], the angle towers make wrt to center of Earth is small. My question is more mathematical..is there is a way I can get a series solution to the integral equation. I don't intend to ignore any terms, no matter what order they are.

Thank You

vaibhavtewari said:
is there is a way I can get a series solution to the integral equation. I don't intend to ignore any terms, no matter what order they are.
What do you mean by this? A series where you don't ignore any terms? That doesn't make sense to me.

I mean something like this,

[tex]\int \frac{\sin (x)}{x}dx=\int \frac{x+x^3/3+2x^5/15+...}{x}dx=x+x^3/9+2x^5/75+...[/tex]

We can't have any analytical integration but as we see we can ha ve a series solution and if x is small we can just consider first few terms, but I have the compete series solution...series solution are useful in many ways and the problem I am trying to solve might become easier with series solution...

So I am looking for a series solution of the integral...

Thanks for putting effort and helping me out...

I didnt mean only solution the way I have given in my example...I mean a sum over double series or any weird series looking solution...

According to Mathematica the first several terms are:

[tex]\frac{\theta }{\sqrt{1-\frac{3 a}{2}}}-\frac{a \theta ^3}{16 \left(1-\frac{3
a}{2}\right)^{3/2}}+\frac{a (3 a+16) \theta ^5}{320 \sqrt{4-6 a} (2-3 a)^2}+\frac{a
\left(-477 a^2+816 a-32\right) \theta ^7}{17920 \sqrt{4-6 a} (3
a-2)^3}+O\left(\theta ^9\right)[/tex]

but you will have to figure out the expression for arbitrary terms on your own.

Thankyou for giving the expansion, it was helpful.

Related to Calculate Bending of Light: Find the Middle Point

What is the purpose of calculating bending of light?

The purpose of calculating bending of light is to understand how light travels and interacts with different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as optics, astronomy, and engineering.

How is bending of light calculated?

Bending of light is calculated using the principles of refraction, which states that light bends as it passes through a medium with a different density. The angle of refraction can be calculated using Snell's law, which takes into account the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two mediums.

What is the middle point in the calculation of bending of light?

The middle point in the calculation of bending of light refers to the point at which the light rays pass through the interface between two mediums. This is where the angle of refraction is measured and where the bending of light occurs.

What factors affect the bending of light?

The bending of light is affected by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two mediums, and the wavelength of light. Additionally, the shape and curvature of the interface between the two mediums can also impact the amount of bending that occurs.

Why is finding the middle point important in calculating bending of light?

Finding the middle point is important in calculating bending of light because it allows us to accurately measure the angle of refraction. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of light as it passes through different mediums and can also help us design and optimize various optical devices.