Calculate average power in one cycle.

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating over one cycle of a simplified function, P=k sin^2 \omega t, and obtaining the average power, \left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{k}{2}, by using the formula <f(x)> = \frac{1}{T}\int ^{r+T} _r f(x)dx and dividing by T.
yungman

Homework Statement

This is part of a bigger problem, I simplify to just:

[tex]P=k sin^2 \omega t [/tex]

How do I integrate over one cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\left\langle P \right\rangle = \int_0^T k\; sin^2 (\omega t) d t \;\hbox { where }\; T= \frac c f = \frac {2\pi}{ \omega} [/tex]

[tex]\left\langle P \right\rangle = k \int_0^{ \frac {2\pi}{ \omega}} sin^2 (\omega t) d t = \frac 1 {\omega} \int sin^2 u du = \frac k 2 u = \frac k 2 t|_0^{\frac {2\pi}{ \omega}} = \frac {k\pi}{\omega}[/tex]

I know the answer is

[tex]\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac k 2 [/tex]

Please show me how to get the integration over one cycle.

Thanks

Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
The average of f(x) of period T: [tex]<f(x)> = \frac{1}{T}\int ^{r+T} _r f(x)dx[/tex] with r is arbitrarily chosen :smile:

Another way to deal with your particular function is:
[tex]P = ksin^2wt = \frac{k}{2}(1-cos2wt)[/tex]

yungman said:

Homework Statement

This is part of a bigger problem, I simplify to just:

[tex]P=k sin^2 \omega t [/tex]

How do I integrate over one cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\left\langle P \right\rangle = \int_0^T k\; sin^2 (\omega t) d t \;\hbox { where }\; T= \frac c f = \frac {2\pi}{ \omega} [/tex]

[tex]\left\langle P \right\rangle = k \int_0^{ \frac {2\pi}{ \omega}} sin^2 (\omega t) d t = \frac 1 {\omega} \int sin^2 u du = \frac k 2 u = \frac k 2 t|_0^{\frac {2\pi}{ \omega}} = \frac {k\pi}{\omega}[/tex]

I know the answer is

[tex]\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac k 2 [/tex]

Please show me how to get the integration over one cycle.

Thanks

Alan

Your answer of kT/2 makes more sense. Wouldn't you expect the integral (area under the curve) to be proportional to T? The only issue is whether you should be integrating from 0 to T/2 rather than 0 to T, because sin^2 has double the frequency of sine, as pointed out by hikaru's trig identity. But, if you want to integrate over the period T for the unsquared sinewave, then you are correct.

EDIT: Oh wait ! You want the average power, so you have to divide by T. That's what the issue is. So k/2 is correct.

Thanks, I forgot the 1/T.

Alan

Hello Alan,

To calculate the average power in one cycle, we can use the formula:

\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{1}{T} \int_0^T P(t) dt

Where T is the period of one cycle. In this case, T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega} where \omega is the angular frequency.

Substituting the given equation for P(t), we get:

\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} k sin^2(\omega t) dt

Now, we can use the double angle formula for sine to rewrite the integral as:

\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \frac{k}{2} (1-cos(2\omega t)) dt

Integrating this, we get:

\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{k}{2} \frac{1}{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \left(t - \frac{sin(2\omega t)}{2\omega}\right)|_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}}

Simplifying this, we get:

\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{k}{2} \left(\frac{2\pi}{\omega} - \frac{sin(4\pi)}{4\omega}\right)

Since sin(4\pi) = 0, this simplifies to:

\left\langle P \right\rangle = \frac{k}{2}

So, the average power in one cycle is simply half of the peak power, which is what you have already mentioned in your attempt. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Calculate average power in one cycle.

1. What is the formula for calculating average power in one cycle?

The formula for calculating average power in one cycle is average power = (work done per cycle) / (time taken for one cycle).

2. How do you determine the work done per cycle?

The work done per cycle can be determined by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied. This can also be represented as the area under the power vs. time graph for one cycle.

3. What is the unit of measurement for average power?

The unit of measurement for average power is watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second (J/s).

4. Can average power be negative?

Yes, average power can be negative. This indicates that the system is doing work on its surroundings instead of the surroundings doing work on the system.

5. Does average power take into account the direction of the force?

No, average power does not take into account the direction of the force. It is a scalar quantity and only considers the magnitude of the force.