Solving for Temperature and Kinetic Theory | Answers to Key Questions

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, the average speed of molecules in a simple gas will double if the temperature is doubled, according to the equation Vrms=[squ]3RT/M. If an ideal gas is slowly compressed to half its original volume without a change in temperature, the average speed of the molecules will also be halved. This is because average velocity is only dependent on temperature and the temperature is held constant in this case.
Dx
[SOLVED] temp and kinetic th

Hiya!
Just 2 quick questions that i may ask which will help me solve for my problems i am working on.

1) In order to double the avg speed of molecules in a simple gas, the temp(in K) must be double also right?

2) And if a ideal gas is compressed slowly to 1/2 its origianl volume with no temp change then the avg speed also is 1/2.

i can't find where i read that at but working on these two problems i have i want to make sure that these 2 questions i am asking you guys are right so i can answer my two prblems i am working on.

Thanks!
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heres the equation for average velocity of ideal gas molecules... U can take it from there

Vrms=[squ]3RT/M where M is molecular mass and R is 8.31

For the second one, if there is no temperature change, then there is no change in avg velocity since it is only dependant on temperature and the problem states that temperature is held constant

Hi Dx,

You are correct in both of your assumptions. According to the kinetic theory of gases, the average speed of gas molecules is directly proportional to the temperature in Kelvin. This means that when the temperature is doubled, the average speed of the molecules will also double. This is because an increase in temperature causes an increase in the kinetic energy of the molecules, which in turn increases their speed.

In the second scenario, when an ideal gas is compressed slowly with no change in temperature, the average speed of the molecules will decrease by half. This is because the volume of the gas is decreased, which means that the molecules will have less space to move around and their average speed will decrease accordingly.

I hope this helps you in solving your problems. Good luck! :)

What is temperature and how is it measured?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. It is typically measured using a thermometer, which uses the expansion or contraction of a liquid or gas to indicate temperature.

How does kinetic theory explain the behavior of gases?

Kinetic theory states that gases are composed of tiny particles in constant motion. These particles collide with each other and the walls of their container, creating pressure and exhibiting properties such as temperature and volume.

How can temperature be solved for using the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, can be rearranged to solve for temperature (T = PV/nR). This equation relates the pressure (P) and volume (V) of a gas to the number of moles (n) and the gas constant (R).

What is absolute zero and why is it significant?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which the particles of a substance have zero kinetic energy. It is significant because it serves as the basis for the Kelvin temperature scale and is the theoretical limit for the lowest possible temperature.

How does temperature affect the kinetic energy of particles?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, as temperature increases, the kinetic energy of particles also increases. This is because higher temperatures cause particles to move faster and collide more frequently, increasing their kinetic energy.