Calculate Angle of Deflection for Curling Stone Collision

• Thread starter monkeygrif
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the collision of two curling stones, where one stone is deflected at an angle of 25° and the other stone's deflection angle needs to be calculated. The attempted solution involves setting up momentum conservation equations in the x and y directions and using the tangent ratio to determine the deflection angle. The correct answer is 83.4 degrees.
monkeygrif

Homework Statement

A curling stone thrown takes 4.8 s to travel 60 m. The stone collides with another stone. The collision is a glancing one. If the second stone is deflected 25° and travels 1.5 m/s, calculate the angle of deflection of the first stone after collision. Omit any effects due to friction.

Homework Equations

ρbefore = ρafter

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at splitting it up into the x and y directions, but couldn't get anywhere. I looked in the answer key, and its 3.3 degrees, but I have no idea how to get there. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, monkeygrif. Welcome to Physics Forums.

You have the right idea of setting up x and y components of momentum conservation.

Can you show more detail of your attempt?

Thanks!

x dir:

0 = mass(a)v2(a) + m(b)v2(b)

because of the wording of the question, i made the assumption that they had the same masses, and thus the masses were irrelevant, so:

0 = v2(a) + v2(b)

0 = v2(a)cosx - 1.5cos25

v2(a)cosx = 1.5cos25

y-dir:

same setup here, which ends up with:

v1(a) = v2(a) + v2(b)
12.5 = v2(a)sinx + 1.5sin25
v2(a)sinx = 11.87

from there i used the tangent ratio, tanx = opposite/adjacent, which gave me the x value of 83.4 degrees

OK. Looks pretty good. But note that you are taking the initial direction of motion of the first stone to be in the y-direction. That's fine. But then that means the deflection angles are measured with respect to the y-axis (not the x-axis). So, you'll need to think about whether you should use cosine or sine to get x-components. Similarly for y-components.

Thanks so much! Its all worked out now. :)

Related to Calculate Angle of Deflection for Curling Stone Collision

1. How do you calculate the angle of deflection for a curling stone collision?

The angle of deflection for a curling stone collision can be calculated using the formula: θ = sin^-1 [(m2v2sin(α))/(m1v1)], where θ is the angle of deflection, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two stones, v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two stones, and α is the angle of incidence (the angle between the initial direction of the first stone and the line connecting the centers of the two stones).

2. Why is it important to calculate the angle of deflection in curling?

Calculating the angle of deflection in curling is important because it helps determine the trajectory of the stone after a collision. This information is crucial for players to strategize and make accurate shots.

3. What factors affect the angle of deflection in curling?

The angle of deflection in curling can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the colliding stones, the angle of incidence, and the surface properties of the ice. Other factors such as air resistance and spin on the stones can also play a role.

4. How does the angle of deflection impact the outcome of a curling game?

The angle of deflection can greatly impact the outcome of a curling game as it determines the direction and speed of the stone after a collision. A slight change in the angle of deflection can result in a completely different outcome, making it a crucial factor in the game.

5. Can the angle of deflection be controlled by players in curling?

Yes, the angle of deflection can be controlled by players in curling by adjusting the angle of incidence and the velocity of their shots. By understanding the physics behind the collision and practicing precise shots, players can strategically control the angle of deflection to their advantage.