Calculate Angle for Multiple Polarisers to Reduce Intensity <10%

In summary: So the smallest n will be for the smallest theta that works. So the smallest theta will be half the smallest angle between polarisers.In summary, to rotate the plane of polarisation of a polarised light beam by 45° with a maximum intensity reduction of 10%, the smallest angle between polarisers should be 10°, with a total of 9 polarisers.
Mnemonic

Homework Statement

You use a sequence of ideal polarising filters, each with its axis making the same angle with the axis of the previous filter, to rotate the plane of polarisation of a polarised light beam by a total of 45°. You wish to have an intensity reduction no larger than 10%.

What is the angle between multiple polarisers?

Homework Equations

I=Imaxcos2(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

For multiple polarisers I=Imaxcos2*n(θ/n) where n is an integer

So I=cos2*n(θ/n) with I>0.9

The only integer solutions I was able to obtain was 9 polarisers separated by 5 degrees (n=9). This would give I=0.933 which is less than 10% loss if Imax=1.

However, this doesn't appear to be giving me the correct solution. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mnemonic said:
So I=cos2*n(θ/n) with I>0.9

The only integer solutions I was able to obtain was 9 polarisers separated by 5 degrees (n=9).
Using the formula, I find that n = 9 is not the smallest integer value of n that will work. (θ does not need to be an integer number of degrees.)

Likes Mnemonic
TSny said:
Using the formula, I find that n = 9 is not the smallest integer value of n that will work. (θ does not need to be an integer number of degrees.)
Was using radians in solution. Thanks for making me look back and double-check!

OK. Good.

Related to Calculate Angle for Multiple Polarisers to Reduce Intensity <10%

What is the formula for calculating the angle of multiple polarisers to reduce intensity to less than 10%?

The formula is θ = arccos(√(Ifinal/Iinitial)), where θ is the angle between the polarisers, Ifinal is the desired intensity (less than 10%), and Iinitial is the initial intensity.

How many polarisers are needed to reduce the intensity to less than 10%?

The number of polarisers needed depends on the initial intensity and the desired final intensity. Generally, the more polarisers used, the lower the intensity will be.

Can the angle between the polarisers be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle between polarisers must be between 0 and 90 degrees in order to reduce the intensity to less than 10%. Any angle greater than 90 degrees will result in an intensity higher than 10%.

What other factors should be considered when calculating the angle for multiple polarisers?

Other factors to consider include the wavelength of the light, the material of the polarisers, and the angle of incidence of the light. These can affect the intensity reduction and may require adjustments to the angle calculation.

Can the intensity be reduced to exactly 10% using this method?

Yes, the intensity can be reduced to exactly 10% by adjusting the initial intensity and using the correct number of polarisers and angle between them. However, the intensity may vary slightly due to factors such as imperfections in the polarisers and the wavelength of the light.