Calculate angle for least work done

In summary: Maybe the question is badly worded. :frown:Anyway, the answer should be "76 (or 104)°". In summary, a man wishes to pull a crate 15 m across a rough floor by exerting a force of 100 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. To minimize the work done, the angle between the force and the horizontal should be 76 (or 104) degrees.
NewtonGalileo

Homework Statement

A man wishes to pull a crate 15 m across a rough floor by exerting a force of 100 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. For the man to do the least work, the angle between the force and the horizontal should be:

Homework Equations

work done = f*d*cos(theta)
friction force = mu * normal force
mu = 0.25

The Attempt at a Solution

total work done = f*d*cos(theta) - mu*m*g*d = m*a*d = 0 (since a =0 to minimise work)

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is 76,then accept my opinion.
As angle increases, value of cos[tex]\theta[/tex] decreases. So at maximum angle, work done will be least.As 76 is maximum in options, according to me it is the answer.

Welcome to PF!

Hi NewtonGalileo! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ :wink:)
NewtonGalileo said:
work done = f*d*cos(theta)
friction force = mu * normal force
mu = 0.25

The Attempt at a Solution

total work done = f*d*cos(theta) - mu*m*g*d = m*a*d = 0 (since a =0 to minimise work)

No, the normal force is not mg, is it? :redface:

However, the question asks "For the man to do the least work …", so I don't think the work done by the friction force matters. :wink:

I thought 76 degrees also. But, the answer given in the answer key is 0 degrees. Does not make sense. Am I missing something?

Hi NewtonGalileo! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

I agree with you (and a.ratnaparkhi) …

the magnitude |F| of the force is fixed,

and the distance d pulled is fixed.

so the work done is F.d, = Fdcosθ, which is a minimum when θ is largest, ie 76°. :confused:

Related to Calculate angle for least work done

1. What is the concept of "least work done" in physics?

In physics, "least work done" refers to the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will always follow the path that minimizes the total action or energy required. This concept is used to determine the most efficient path or motion for a system to take.

2. How do you calculate the angle for least work done?

The angle for least work done can be calculated using the equation for total work done, which is the product of the force applied and the displacement of the object. To find the angle that minimizes this work, you can take the derivative of the equation and set it equal to zero. This will give you the angle that corresponds to the minimum work done.

3. Can the angle for least work done be negative?

Yes, the angle for least work done can be negative. This can occur when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work value. The angle in this case would be measured in the opposite direction of the force vector.

4. How does calculating the angle for least work done relate to real-world applications?

The concept of least work done has many real-world applications, such as in engineering and mechanics. It can be used to optimize the design of structures and machines, as well as to determine the most efficient routes for vehicles or the most efficient motions for human movement. It is also used in fields like physics and chemistry to predict the behavior of particles and molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the angle for least work done?

There are some limitations to calculating the angle for least work done. One limitation is that it assumes that the system is in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on the object are balanced. It also assumes that the system is conservative, meaning that the energy remains constant. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not always hold true, and other factors may need to be considered in order to accurately calculate the angle for least work done.