Calculate acceleration of a vehicle.

In summary: C Gremlin.In summary, the acceleration of a car is determined by the power it has (70 hp), the tractive force it has (498N), and the velocity it has. After that, you need the engine torque (torque at the wheel) to get an acceleration curve. Downforce does not affect the acceleration, but it does create drag.
nazo
hello,

i need to calculate acceleration of a vehicle. I have power (70 bhp), Tractive force (498N). Can someone help me please. I know i should use dv/dt but i can't remember how to do differential equations.

Also I need the formula to include downforce as I am designing a rear wing. does someone know the formula.

thanks.
Nazario.

Physics news on Phys.org
nazo said:
hello,

i need to calculate acceleration of a vehicle. I have power (70 bhp), Tractive force (498N). Can someone help me please. I know i should use dv/dt but i can't remember how to do differential equations.

For the first part,are u sure this is all the data??
I men,u have the force,u need the mass.Unfortunately,the engine power will give the product between the tractive force and the velocity.So u can find the velocity.But i can't see a way of finding the acceleration...
:confused:

Daniel.

i have the weight 375 kg, i need the force... hmm... i onloy have tractive force. i might need the total force. how do i do that?

thanks.

Initial acceleration is always easy: its determined by the traction (since virtually any car is capable of spinning its wheels). a=f/m

After that (basically, after shifting out of first gear), you need the engine torque (or, more useful, torque at the wheel) - convert that to force and apply f=ma again and you can get an acceleration curve.

Downforce does not affect acceleration except in that it creates drag. And adding drag to this question makes it very complicated (and probably not solvable without a wind tunnel). Dynamic forces inside the drive-train (angular acceleration of the components) also complicates things.

Last edited:
nazo said:
I need to calculate acceleration of a vehicle. I have power (70 bhp), Tractive force (498N). Can someone help me please. I know i should use dv/dt but i can't remember how to do differential equations.
The acceleration has to be a function of time because the rate of power loss due to friction is a function of speed (ie. d/dt(P_f) = d/dt (F*s) = F ds/dt = Fv)
So use:
[tex]F*v = P[/tex]

Since the force is: [itex]F = ma + \mu_kmg[/itex] and v = at you have:

[tex]P = Fat = ma^2t + \mu_kmgat[/tex]

You should be able to solve this quadratic equation for a (in terms of t). The acceleration will decline until the power output (Fv) is equal to the friction force * v.

AM

Last edited:

Related to Calculate acceleration of a vehicle.

1. How do you calculate acceleration of a vehicle?

The acceleration of a vehicle can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration of a vehicle?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as miles per hour squared (mph/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) may also be used.

3. How does acceleration affect a vehicle's motion?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on a vehicle and the mass of the vehicle. This means that a greater acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity, either increasing or decreasing the speed of the vehicle.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object is slowing down. This can happen when there is a negative net force acting on the object, or when the object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity.

5. How is acceleration of a vehicle measured in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, acceleration of a vehicle is typically measured using instruments such as accelerometers or GPS devices. These instruments can provide accurate measurements of acceleration in both a single direction and in multiple directions.