Calc. the car's average acceleration

In summary, a car with an initial velocity of 25m/s[E] changes its velocity to 25m/s[S] in 15s. Using the formula Aav= Vf - Vi / T, the average acceleration of the car can be calculated. This problem also involves dealing with vectors, specifically the x and y components of velocity and trigonometric functions such as sin, cos, and tan. Setting up a set of axes and using the notation \vec{r} = 34\vec{i} + 25\vec{j} can help in visualizing the problem.
hullio
Help please :)

Homework Statement

A Car with a velocity of 25m/s[E] changes its velocity to 25m/s in 15s. Calc. the car's average acceleration.

Homework Equations

Aav= Vf - Vi / T

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the angle is = to 45 degrees S of W since it's a right angle triangle and two sides are equal, therefore, 90 + 45 + 45 = 180.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dealing with vectors here? Do you know how to express the formula you gave with vectors?

Yes dealing with vectors. Express the formula with vectors? I don't think so...? I've been learning all this Dx and Dy stuff in class. X-components, y-compenents, sin/cos/tan stuff.

Well X and Y components are the axis, or directions North is +Y, South is -Y, East is +X, West -X.

Just start by making a quick outline of the problem, on a set of axis, that always helps.

Are you familiar with this type of notation: [tex]\vec{r} = 34\vec{i} + 25\vec{j}[/tex] (just an arbitrary vector... nothing to do with the problem... i denotes a unit vector in the x-direction... j denotes a unit vector in the y direction)

Related to Calc. the car's average acceleration

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed changes.

How do you calculate average acceleration?

Average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

What units are used to measure average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

What does a positive or negative average acceleration mean?

A positive average acceleration means that the object is speeding up, while a negative average acceleration means that the object is slowing down.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of how the object's speed changes, while instantaneous acceleration gives a more precise measurement at a specific point in time.