How Do You Solve These Challenging Calculus Word Problems?

• MHB
  • Thread starter fidal2
  • Start date
In summary: Thus, the ratio of the height of the cone to its radius is:\frac{h}{r}=\frac{h}{h/k}=k=8\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{5}}\,\frac{1}{\text{cm}}
fidal2
1) A space shuttle launches with altitude function a(t) = 20t^2 (t = seconds and a(t) = meters). An observer standing 4 miles away (horizontally) from the launch pad must look up at a higher and higher angle as time goes by in order to watch the space shuttle. Calculate the rate of change of that angle after 1 second of lift-off.

2) Suppose that a traffic drone is 1000 feet in the air, directly over a straight freeway.
It observes a car on the freeway that is 2000 feet away from the drone traveling
away from the drone at 80 feet per second. The speed limit is 65 miles per hour.
Is the car breaking the speed limit? Justify your answer.

3) A coffee filter has the shape of an inverted cone. Water drains out of the filter at
a rate of 10cm^3 per minute. When the depth of the water in the cone is 8cm, the
depth is decreasing at a rate of 2cm per minute. What is the ratio of the height of
the cone to its radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, fidal2! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Just for future reference, we also ask that no more than 2 questions be asked per thread in the initial post. This way a thread does not potentially become convoluted and hard to follow.

Can you post what you have done so far?

Hello, fidal2!

2) Suppose that a traffic drone is 1000 feet in the air, directly over a straight freeway.
It observes a car on the freeway that is 2000 feet away from the drone
traveling away from the drone at 80 feet per second.
The speed limit is 65 miles per hour.
Is the car breaking the speed limit? Justify your answer.

Code:
       A *
         |       *    y
    1000 |           *
       B * - - - - - - - - - - - *
                   x             C
The drone is at $A:\: AB = 1000$

The car is at $C:\:x = BC.$

Let $y\,=\,AC.$

We have: $\:x^2 + 1000^2\:=\:y^2$

Differentiate with respect to time:
$\quad 2x\dfrac{dx}{dt}\:=\:2y\dfrac{dy}{dt} \quad\Rightarrow\quad \dfrac{dx}{dt} \:=\:\dfrac{y}{x}\,\dfrac{dy}{dt}$

We are given: $\:\frac{dy}{dt} = 80$ ft/sec.
When $y = 2000,\;x = 1000\sqrt{3}.$

Hence: $\:\dfrac{dx}{dt} =\:\dfrac{2000}{1000\sqrt{3}}\cdot 80 \;\approx\;92.376\text{ ft/sec} \;\approx\;63\text{ mph}$

No, the car is not breaking the speed limit.

Last edited:
Since several days has gone by with no feedback from the OP, I will post solutions to the remaining problems for the benefit of future readers.

fidal2 said:
1) A space shuttle launches with altitude function a(t) = 20t^2 (t = seconds and a(t) = meters). An observer standing 4 miles away (horizontally) from the launch pad must look up at a higher and higher angle as time goes by in order to watch the space shuttle. Calculate the rate of change of that angle after 1 second of lift-off.

If we let $\theta$ be the angle of inclination, then we may state:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{a(t)\text{ m}}{4\text{ mi}}\cdot\frac{2.54\text{ in}}{1\text{ cm}}\cdot\frac{1 \text{ft}}{12\text{ in}}\cdot\frac{1\text{mi}}{5280\text{ ft}}\cdot\frac{100\text{ cm}}{1\text{ m}}=\frac{127}{6336}t^2\)

Differentiating with respect to time $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \sec^2(\theta)\d{\theta}{t}=\frac{127}{3168}t\)

Using a Pythagorean identity, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \sec^2(\theta)=\tan^2(\theta)+1=\left(\frac{127}{6336}t^2\right)^2+1\)

And so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \d{\theta}{t}=\frac{\dfrac{127}{3168}t}{\left(\dfrac{127}{6336}t^2\right)^2+1}=\frac{1609344t}{16129t^4+40144896}\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{\theta}{t}\right|_{t=1}=\frac{1609344}{40161025}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\)

fidal2 said:
3) A coffee filter has the shape of an inverted cone. Water drains out of the filter at
a rate of 10cm^3 per minute. When the depth of the water in the cone is 8cm, the
depth is decreasing at a rate of 2cm per minute. What is the ratio of the height of
the cone to its radius?

Let's let $k$ be the ratio of the height $h$ of the cone to its radius $r$, thus:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{h}{k}\)

And so the volume of the cone is:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{1}{3}\pi h\left(\frac{h}{k}\right)^2=\frac{\pi}{3k^2}h^3\)

Differentiating with respect to time $t$, there results:

\(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}=\frac{\pi}{k^2}h^2\d{h}{t}\)

Solving for $k$, we find:

\(\displaystyle k=h\sqrt{\frac{\pi\d{h}{t}}{\d{V}{t}}}\)

Plugging in the given data:

\(\displaystyle h=8\text{ cm},\,\d{h}{t}=-2\,\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{min}},\,\d{V}{t}=-10\,\frac{\text{cm}^3}{\text{min}}\)

We then find:

\(\displaystyle k=8\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{5}}\)

Related to How Do You Solve These Challenging Calculus Word Problems?

What is the best approach to solving Calc I word problems?

The best approach to solving Calc I word problems is to first carefully read the problem and identify what is being asked. Then, identify the given information and any relevant equations that can be used. Next, set up the problem and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

Why are word problems in Calc I important?

Word problems in Calc I are important because they allow you to apply the mathematical concepts and equations you have learned to real-world situations. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Calc I word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Calc I word problems include misinterpreting the given information, using incorrect equations or formulas, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my skills in solving Calc I word problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving Calc I word problems is to practice regularly. This will help you become more familiar with different types of problems and develop problem-solving strategies. You can also seek help from a tutor or your instructor if you are struggling with a specific concept or type of problem.

Are there any tips for solving word problems in Calc I?

Some tips for solving word problems in Calc I include drawing diagrams or graphs to help visualize the problem, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and checking your answer to make sure it is reasonable. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or discuss problems with your classmates to gain different perspectives.