Calc I-III String: Dedicating Time to Proofs

• Thread starter Immanuel Can
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, if you are planning to pursue mathematics, it is recommended to dedicate a significant amount of time to studying proofs, as they are crucial in preparing for more difficult proofs in the future. One effective approach is to try to find the proofs on your own instead of relying solely on the textbook, although this may require a lot of time and effort.
Immanuel Can
I'm currently in the middle of the Calc I-III string and I was wondering how much time I should dedicate to studying the proofs, if any time at all. I'm a physics major but I do plan on going on in math after I've taken all of the general curricula because I intend to pursue theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to pursue mathematics, then I'd suggest spending a lot of time on the proofs. It are the simple proofs now that prepare you for the hard proofs later on.
The best thing you can do is not looking at the book and trying to find the proofs yourself. This takes a lot of time, but can be very rewarding! :smile:

Related to Calc I-III String: Dedicating Time to Proofs

1. What is the purpose of dedicating time to proofs in Calculus I-III?

The main purpose of dedicating time to proofs in Calculus I-III is to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles in calculus. By proving theorems and properties, students are able to see the logical reasoning behind the formulas and equations they are using. This helps them to better understand the material and apply it to more complex problems.

2. How much time should be spent on proofs in Calculus I-III?

The amount of time dedicated to proofs in Calculus I-III may vary depending on the course and the individual's learning style. However, it is recommended to spend at least 20-30% of the total study time on proofs in order to fully grasp the concepts and improve problem-solving skills.

3. Are proofs necessary for understanding Calculus I-III?

While it is possible to memorize formulas and solve problems without fully understanding the proofs behind them, it is not recommended. Proofs are essential for developing a strong foundation in calculus and being able to apply the principles to more complex problems. They also help students to think critically and analytically.

4. How can I improve my skills in proving theorems and properties in Calculus I-III?

One of the best ways to improve skills in proving theorems and properties in Calculus I-III is to practice regularly. Start with simple proofs and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor and to discuss proofs with classmates.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to prove theorems and properties in Calculus I-III?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to prove theorems and properties in Calculus I-III. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and video lectures. It can also be helpful to attend study groups or seek help from a teacher or tutor.