Calc Feynman Amp Q: Chi+ Chi- -> Chi+ Chi-

In summary: Therefore, the total amplitude will have two contributions from the first term and one contribution from the second term. So, in summary, the Feynman amplitude for the scalar scattering process $\chi^+ \chi^- \to \chi^+ \chi^-$ is given by the equation above.
div curl F= 0
I'm having a problem calculating the Feynman amplitude for the scalar scattering process [tex] \chi^+ \chi^- \to \chi^+ \chi^-[/tex] for an interaction Lagrangian which is:

[tex] \mathcal{L} = - g \chi^\dagger \chi \Phi - \frac{\lambda}{4} (\chi^\dagger \chi)^2 [/tex]

So far I have the 2 Feynman Diagrams for [tex] \chi^+ \chi^- \to \Phi \to \chi^+ \chi^-[/tex] but I can't think/remember how many there should be for the quartic term. I'm thinking there should only be one diagram and hence only one contribution to the Feynman amplitude (which should be -i lambda/4), so the total amplitude becomes:

[tex] (-ig)^2 \left(\frac{i}{(p_1 + p_2)^2 - M^2} + \frac{i}{(p_1 - k_1)^2 - M^2} \right) - \frac{i\lambda}{4} [/tex]

where M is the mass of Phi boson, p_1 and p_2 are the incoming energy-momenta and k_1 and k_2 are the outgoing energy-momenta.

Am I along the right lines?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!Yes, you are on the right track. The Feynman amplitude for the scalar scattering process $\chi^+ \chi^- \to \chi^+ \chi^-$ is given by: \begin{align}i\mathcal{M} = (-ig)^2 \left(\frac{i}{(p_1 + p_2)^2 - M^2} + \frac{i}{(p_1 - k_1)^2 - M^2} \right) - \frac{i\lambda}{4}.\end{align}This is due to the fact that there will be two diagrams for the interaction term $g \chi^\dagger \chi \Phi$ and only one diagram for the quartic term $\lambda (\chi^\dagger \chi)^2$.

for your question. It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations. In order to determine the number of Feynman diagrams for the quartic term, you can use the Feynman rules for scalar field theory. For this interaction Lagrangian, there will be two Feynman diagrams for the quartic term, one with a -i\lambda/4 vertex and one with a +i\lambda/4 vertex. These diagrams will contribute to the overall Feynman amplitude for the process \chi^+ \chi^- \to \chi^+ \chi^-.

In order to calculate the Feynman amplitude, you will need to take into account the momentum of the particles involved in the process, as well as the mass of the intermediate particle (in this case, the Phi boson). It looks like you have correctly included these factors in your calculation.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Feynman amplitude is complex, so you will need to take the absolute value squared in order to obtain the probability of the process occurring. Additionally, you may need to consider the spin of the particles involved in the process, as this can affect the overall amplitude.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the Feynman rules and are making good progress in your calculations. I would recommend double checking your work and perhaps consulting with a colleague or professor for further guidance. Good luck!

Related to Calc Feynman Amp Q: Chi+ Chi- -> Chi+ Chi-

What is the Calc Feynman Amp Q for the process Chi+ Chi- -> Chi+ Chi-?

The Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process is a quantity that is used to calculate the probability of the transformation of a Chi+ particle and a Chi- particle into a Chi+ particle and a Chi- particle.

How does the Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process relate to quantum mechanics?

The Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Feynman diagram approach which uses graphical representations to calculate the amplitude of a quantum process.

What factors affect the value of the Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process?

The value of the Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process is affected by various factors such as the energy and momentum of the particles involved, as well as the interaction between them through the exchange of other particles.

What is the significance of the Chi+ Chi- -> Chi+ Chi- process in particle physics?

This process is significant in particle physics as it represents the annihilation of a particle and its antiparticle, which is an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How is the Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process experimentally measured?

The Calc Feynman Amp Q for this process can be experimentally measured through high energy particle collisions, where detectors can measure the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the process, allowing for the calculation of the amplitude and thus the probability of the process.