Calc Accuracy: Percent Error Within 5%?

• Thread starter elegysix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accuracy
In summary, the manual says that if you repeat your measurement many times you should obtain results having a gaussian distribution of some mean value μ and some standard deviation σ.
elegysix
Hello, I'm doing an experiment on the speed of light, and had a simple question.
The manual says accuracy should be within 5% - does this mean the same as my percent error being within 5% ?

percent error being (V-E)/V*100% (V is accepted value, E is measured value)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. It means that if you repeat your measurement many times you should obtain results having gaussian distribution of some mean value μ and some standard deviation σ.

Absolute value of difference between your μ and true value [itex]\left| \frac{\mu-V}{V}\right|[/itex] is called relative systematic error, while [itex]\sigma/V[/itex] is a relative statistical error. I don't know to which of those errors your manual refers. If it is not clear: sum of statistical and systematic errors should be smaller than requested value.

I thought repeatability was known as precision, while accuracy was a measure of how close it is to the value?

Oouu... So we must to wait for explanation by some true Englishman... Maybe you are right - in my language 'accuracy' and 'precision' are exact synonyms, but maybe in English there is a nuance difference. My dictionary doesn't help :confused:

here's a link which describes accuracy and precision and the difference. I just want to verify if 5% accuracy means 5% error.

http://webphysics.iupui.edu/NH/Projects/TEAMS%5B2%5D/err6.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
elegysix said:
here's a link which describes accuracy and precision and the difference. I just want to verify if 5% accuracy means 5% error.

http://webphysics.iupui.edu/NH/Projects/TEAMS%5B2%5D/err6.htm"

The statement about the ruler measurement, it says you might expect 12.00+0.01.

Shouldn't that read 12.00 +/- 0.01?

Also, the first statement says to refer to pictures. Even the source code does not have a link. Where is the rest of the reference?

Last edited by a moderator:
xts said:
Oouu... So we must to wait for explanation by some true Englishman... Maybe you are right - in my language 'accuracy' and 'precision' are exact synonyms, but maybe in English there is a nuance difference. My dictionary doesn't help :confused:

It is a distinction within physics what the 2 words mean.
If you are shooting at a bull's eye with a projectile, say a gun or arrow:

1. Accurate and precise - All shots hit the center.
2. Acurate but not precise - All shots hit the target anywhere but are distributed
around the centre
3. Not accurate but precise - All shots are distributed off from the centre and
congregate about that spot.
4. Not accurate not precise - Shots show no pattern or no mathematical analysis possible.

Hope that helps.

elegysix said:
Hello, I'm doing an experiment on the speed of light, and had a simple question.
The manual says accuracy should be within 5% - does this mean the same as my percent error being within 5% ?

percent error being (V-E)/V*100% (V is accepted value, E is measured value)

thanks!

It would mean that any value you obtain by your experiment should be within 5% of the accepted value.

I would take the percent error as follows:
You percent error would be calculated from the setup of the apparatus. You would maybe be measuring several lengths, frequency, etc, etc and all would have measurement errors.
XTS explains what that entails, and you want to make these errors as small as possible to reach an accuracy of 5% in your experiment. Comparing what you think you should get to what you do get as a measured outcome of the experiment let's you know if your apparatus needs adjustment.

Related to Calc Accuracy: Percent Error Within 5%?

What is "Calc Accuracy: Percent Error Within 5%"?

"Calc Accuracy: Percent Error Within 5%" refers to a measure of how closely a calculated value matches the actual or expected value, with the allowance of a 5% margin of error. It is commonly used in scientific experiments to evaluate the precision and accuracy of data.

How is "Calc Accuracy: Percent Error Within 5%" calculated?

The formula for calculating percent error within 5% is: (|calculated value - actual value| / actual value) * 100. The resulting value is then compared to 5%, and if it falls within that range, the calculation is considered accurate within 5%.

Why is it important to have a low percent error within 5%?

A low percent error within 5% indicates that the calculated value is close to the actual or expected value. This is important because it shows the precision and accuracy of the data, and can help identify any potential errors or flaws in the experimental procedure.

What factors can contribute to a high percent error within 5%?

Several factors can contribute to a high percent error within 5%, including human error during calculations or data collection, equipment limitations, and experimental variables that were not accounted for. It is important to carefully analyze and control these factors in order to minimize percent error within 5%.

Can percent error within 5% be negative?

Yes, percent error within 5% can be negative if the calculated value is lower than the actual or expected value. This indicates an underestimation of the true value, which can be caused by factors such as rounding errors or limitations in measuring equipment.