Cal Poly for Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, the conversation is about an aspiring Aerospace Engineer seeking advice on the Cal Poly schools and their "learn by doing" philosophy. The person is considering pursuing a Ph.D but is also interested in immediate job recruitment. They are also considering working in industry for a few years before going back to school, and their ideal company is SpaceX. The conversation also touches on which Cal Poly school is better for job recruitment and how it compares to other UC schools. The general consensus is that Cal Poly has a good engineering program and is more affordable than a UC, but may not have the same level of prestige.
CSpence
Hey all,

I'm an aspiring Aerospace Engineer and I'd like some advice on what you guys think about the Cal Poly schools. I really like their "learn by doing" philosophy because it's great for immediate job recruitment, but not necessarily good for those who want to pursue a Ph.D. I want to acquire a Ph.D, but if I can get a job right after graduating then I'd rather take that course. My first question, do you guys think it's a good idea to work in industry for a few years then go back to school for a Ph.D? It'll be a tough transition financially, especially if I get raises during my initial career. Cal Poly also offers this program where you can get a Masters in about a year after your bachelors. Would that be a better option? My ideal company to work for would be SpaceX and I also have dreams of creating my own space company one day, if that makes any difference. The founder of SpaceX doesn't have a Ph.D.

What do you guys think of the Cal Poly schools overall? Which one is better for job recruitment? I've heard that Pomona is better for Engineering because it's closer to a lot of the industry in SoCal. But SLO definitely has the better campus life and area.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Cal Poly schools are definitely good. I'm not sure which one is better for job recruitment, but SLO seems to be a little more competitive and prestigious. But I've heard good things about Pomona engineering, and I know very successful people who went to Pomona, so it probably won't matter a whole lot. And like you, I think SLO is in a better area.

I just don't think you can really decide yet on whether you want to do a masters or phd, you should just wait and see how you feel when the time comes. I personally don't really like the idea of working for a few years and then going back to school, I would just want to get it all over with in one shot. But's that not to say it isn't possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find Punkyc7. I think most of the "what can I do with a degree in x?" would be mitigated if every school had a detailed survey of their alumni doings.

Yeah I saw that before. I just wonder what the total amount of Aerospace graduates were in a given year, compared to the total amount who actually got employed.

Versus other UC's like UCLA, UCSB, & UCSD, how do you think Cal Poly stands? I didn't include Berkeley because they don't offer an Aerospace program.

The Cal Poly engineering program is probably on par with those other schools. Although, the UC system has a bit more of a prestigious name compared to the Cal State system. Cal Poly is focused on science and engineering, while UCLA is near the top in many other fields as well (the arts, medicine), which could contribute to its prestige. But if you are only concerned about engineering, Cal Poly is a great choice and is much more affordable than a UC.

Related to Cal Poly for Aerospace Engineering?

1. What is the admissions process for Cal Poly for Aerospace Engineering?

The admissions process for Cal Poly for Aerospace Engineering involves submitting an application, providing transcripts and test scores, and completing an essay or personal statement. The university also considers factors such as extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and any relevant work experience.

2. What is the curriculum like for the Aerospace Engineering program at Cal Poly?

The curriculum for the Aerospace Engineering program at Cal Poly is a combination of hands-on projects, theoretical coursework, and industry experience. Students can expect to take courses in aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, and materials, as well as participate in design projects and internships.

3. Are there any research opportunities for students in the Aerospace Engineering program at Cal Poly?

Yes, Cal Poly offers research opportunities for students in the Aerospace Engineering program. These opportunities include working with faculty on research projects, participating in the university's Center for Aerospace Research and Innovation, and collaborating with industry partners.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Aerospace Engineering program at Cal Poly?

Graduates of the Aerospace Engineering program at Cal Poly have a variety of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, and aviation. They can work as design engineers, research engineers, project managers, or in other related roles.

5. Is it possible to double major or minor in another field while studying Aerospace Engineering at Cal Poly?

Yes, it is possible to double major or minor in another field while studying Aerospace Engineering at Cal Poly. The university offers a variety of minors, including mathematics, computer science, and business, that can complement an Aerospace Engineering degree. However, students should be aware of the potential added workload and plan accordingly.