Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

caffeinemachine

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Hey! Your message queue is too big so I have to resort to creating a thread to talk to you.

Here's my reply to the polymath project.

"Unfortunately I have a strong inclination to Math, but I'm trained as a Physicist. So my Math skills are "spread out" over many Math topics. My best Math fields are geometry and linear algebra, solving polynomial equations, and trigonometry. I have some basic skills in group theory, algebra, discrete, differential equations, topology, and differential geometry. Many of these last topics are self taught so I can follow proofs (etc), but don't necessarily have a detailed knowledge.

I have a degree in quantum field theory so I have a fair amount of training in a number of topics. And my Math library is reasonably comprehensive so if I don't know what to do I can look things up.

Mainly my ideas of helping are to check over someone's work and offer suggestions as to where to go next. I have a different outlook for many Math topics and so might come up with ideas to work through that a Mathematician wouldn't."

-Dan

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
If his PM box is full you can always post a visitor message on his profile page. ;)

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hey! Your message queue is too big so I have to resort to creating a thread to talk to you.

Here's my reply to the polymath project.

"Unfortunately I have a strong inclination to Math, but I'm trained as a Physicist. So my Math skills are "spread out" over many Math topics. My best Math fields are geometry and linear algebra, solving polynomial equations, and trigonometry. I have some basic skills in group theory, algebra, discrete, differential equations, topology, and differential geometry. Many of these last topics are self taught so I can follow proofs (etc), but don't necessarily have a detailed knowledge.

I have a degree in quantum field theory so I have a fair amount of training in a number of topics. And my Math library is reasonably comprehensive so if I don't know what to do I can look things up.

Mainly my ideas of helping are to check over someone's work and offer suggestions as to where to go next. I have a different outlook for many Math topics and so might come up with ideas to work through that a Mathematician wouldn't."

-Dan
Hey tops.

Thank you for the details about your math skills. I think you are very experienced in math. We won't be solving very hard problems in the polymath.. may be we'll get there someday too.. but for now we'll start with easy ones.
You could have posted it in the polymath thread itself to convey the message. I am the first MHB member, I believe, who has a thread on his name. yay! Thanks a bunch.