Cabibbo angle for coupling of quark to antiquark?

In summary, the coupling constant for strange to down is modified in the same way as for strange to antidown, i.e. multiplied by ##\sin(\theta_C)##. The coupling constants of interactions mediated by Z also depend on the Cabibbo angle. If you have a charm and down quark interact via weak to produce an up quark and antistrange quark, the coupling constant is modified at both vertices, multiplied by ##\sin(\theta_C)## in both cases. Decay width is proportional to the coupling constant squared, so does that mean it would then depend on ##sin^4(\theta_C)##?
Kara386
I'm not clear on whether the coupling constant for strange to antidown is modified in the same way as for strange to down, i.e. multiplied by ##\sin(\theta_C)##. And are the coupling constants of interactions mediated by Z also dependent on the Cabibbo angle?

And what happens if you have say a charm and down quark interact via weak to produce an up quark and antistrange quark? The coupling constant is modified at both vertices, multiplied by ##\sin(\theta_C)## in both cases. Decay width is proportional to the coupling constant squared, so does that mean it would then depend on ##sin^4(\theta_C)##?

I've read a textbook (Griffiths Intro to Elementary Particle Physics) which made me ask these questions rather than helping to answer them!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you expect a strange/down or strange/antidown coupling? Where do you see couplings where changing a particle to an antiparticle would work? Which interactions happen with the Z, and where do you expect the Cabibbo angle to be relevant?

In general, couplings don't care about time ordering - particles and antiparticles work the same way.
Kara386 said:
And what happens if you have say a charm and down quark interact via weak to produce an up quark and antistrange quark?
That doesn't work.
But if you fix the quark content, the answer is yes.

Likes Kara386
mfb said:
Where do you expect a strange/down or strange/antidown coupling? Where do you see couplings where changing a particle to an antiparticle would work? Which interactions happen with the Z, and where do you expect the Cabibbo angle to be relevant?

In general, couplings don't care about time ordering - particles and antiparticles work the same way.
That doesn't work.
But if you fix the quark content, the answer is yes.
I've resolved the Z issue. I was drawing a Feynman diagram for a process I thought could only proceed via Z but actually using a gluon instead worked fine.
In terms of the strange antidown coupling I think I meant up antidown coupling in the decay of a ##D^+## meson to ##K^+ + \pi^+ \pi^+##. So on the diagram I've drawn a line with charm on the left and strange on the right. There's a W boson coming off that line and producing an up and antidown. I know that for an up, down and W boson vertex the Cabibbo angle dependence is ##\sin^2(\theta_C)## and I wondered if it's the same for an up and antidown vertex. And whether up, antidown, W is even an allowed vertex.

On a list of allowed W decay modes, I have ##W \rightarrow s \bar{u}## so I thought ##W \rightarrow u \bar{s}## would be allowed. As to fixing the quark content, how do I do that?

Kara386 said:
in the decay of a ##D^+## meson to ##K^+ + \pi^+ \pi^+##
That violates charge conservation, and K+ has an anti-strange, not a strange quark. I guess this should be a K-.
I know that for an up, down and W boson vertex the Cabibbo angle dependence is ##\sin^2(\theta_C)##
It is not, up and down are in the same generation.
And whether up, antidown, W is even an allowed vertex.
Does it conserve charge?
On a list of allowed W decay modes, I have ##W \rightarrow s \bar{u}## so I thought ##W \rightarrow u \bar{s}## would be allowed.
W+ or W-?
As to fixing the quark content, how do I do that?
By writing down the correct quarks involved everywhere.

Likes Kara386
Kara386 said:
what happens if you have say a charm
GIM effect,does it? I never look at it carefully, but the cham was predicted on grounds of this kinf of cabibbo malabar games.

mfb said:
That violates charge conservation, and K+ has an anti-strange, not a strange quark. I guess this should be a K-.
Yes, apologies, typo.
mfb said:
It is not, up and down are in the same generation.
Now that's a silly mistake on my part.
mfb said:
W+ or W-?
Not actually specified. But the ##s \bar{u}## would be a ##W^-## to conserve charge, so ##u \bar{s}## would be ##W^+##. It's an up type and a down type, it conserves charge, and in terms of crossing generations isn't it an allowed diagonal change? I should also mention that I'm imagining both those quarks to be in the final state, so it's the boson decaying to that pair rather than the up interacting with weak to change flavour to an antistrange. Would that work?

Kara386 said:
It's an up type and a down type, it conserves charge, and in terms of crossing generations isn't it an allowed diagonal change?
Right.
Kara386 said:
so it's the boson decaying to that pair rather than the up interacting with weak to change flavour to an antistrange. Would that work?
In hadron decays, the W is virtual - it is not an actual W decay. But apart from that: right.

Likes Kara386

Related to Cabibbo angle for coupling of quark to antiquark?

1. What is the Cabibbo angle?

The Cabibbo angle, also known as the Cabibbo mixing angle, is a parameter in the theory of quark mixing that describes the coupling of up-type quarks (up, charm, and top) to down-type quarks (down, strange, and bottom).

2. Why is the Cabibbo angle important in particle physics?

The Cabibbo angle is important because it explains the mixing of quarks, which is a fundamental process in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is also crucial in understanding the decay of particles containing quarks.

3. How is the Cabibbo angle measured?

The Cabibbo angle is measured using scattering experiments, where high-energy particles are collided and the resulting decay products are analyzed. By studying the angles and energies of these particles, physicists can determine the value of the Cabibbo angle.

4. What is the current accepted value of the Cabibbo angle?

The current accepted value of the Cabibbo angle is approximately 13.04 degrees. This value was first proposed in 1963 by Italian physicist Nicola Cabibbo and has been refined through various experiments over the years.

5. How does the Cabibbo angle relate to the CKM matrix?

The CKM matrix is a unitary matrix that describes the mixing of quarks in the Standard Model. The Cabibbo angle is one of the parameters in this matrix, along with the less commonly known Wolfenstein parameters. Together, they provide a comprehensive understanding of quark mixing and the behavior of particles containing quarks.