C13 NMR Interpretation Homework - C,H,O 116g/mol

In summary, the NMR spectrum indicates that the compound is a straight chain ester with a molecular formula of C6H12O2. The peaks at 51 and 33.85 ppm correspond to the carbon attached to the oxygen of the ester and an unfunctionalized alkyl group, respectively. The presence of only one CH3 peak suggests that the molecule is either methyl pentanoate or butyl acetate, but further analysis of the NMR shifts reveals that it is most likely methyl pentanoate.
gbpackfan

Homework Statement

I'm having a bit of difficulty interpreting the spectrum. I've given it a shot but I think I might be missing something. The compound contains only C,H,O and any assistance would be appreciated. The molecular weight is 116g/mol.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Peak at 13.73= CH3
Peak at 22.32= CH2R2
Peaks at 27.09 and 33.85= CH3
Peak at 51= C-O
Peaks in the grouping at 77= C-C double bonding?
Peak at 174 is a possible carboxylic acid?

Attachments

• C13 NMR.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
gbpackfan said:
Peaks in the grouping at 77= C-C double bonding?
Remember to check for solvent peaks. In this case, the 1:1:1 triplet at 77 ppm is CDCl3. Also, the OP has (tacitly) correctly assumed that the peak at 0 ppm is TMS.

Other than those, we have 6 peaks, meaning 6 inequivalent carbons. Now we get to work interpreting the rest of the spectrum.

gbpackfan said:
Peak at 174 is a possible carboxylic acid?
A carboxyl group: either an acid or an ester. This means we have at least 2 oxygens. If we add up the molar masses of 6 carbons and 2 oxygens, we get 12*6 + 16*2 = 104 g/mol; in other words 12 g/mol shy of the given molar mass. It's pretty inconceivable that these 12 g/mol will be another carbon atom, so since the compound only has C, H, and O, the molecular formula for the compound is C6H12O2.

gbpackfan said:
Peak at 51= C-O
A single bond C-O indicates that the compound is an ester instead of a carboxylic acid.

gbpackfan said:
Peak at 13.73= CH3
Only 1 alkyl CH3 group indicates that there's probably no branching; in other words, all the alkyl chains in the molecules are straight.

The above considerations severely limit the identity of the molecule. It's a straight chain ester with a formula of C6H12O2. The next part is a little tricky. The NMR spectrum gives only one CH3 unfunctionalized alkyl resonance. What does that say about either side of the ester? Well, alpha carbons on the carboxyl side of the ester are generally shifted downfield from plain alkyl groups (in fact, this carbon corresponds to the peak at 33.85 ppm), and we've already identified the peak corresponding to the carbon attached to the alcohol side of the ester (51 ppm). Since there is only one CH3 unfunctionalized alkyl peak, that means that either we have a methyl group on the alcohol side or an acetate group on the carboxyl side. This constrains us to one of two molecules: either methyl pentanoate, or butyl acetate.

Personally, if I were giving this as a homework problem, I'd accept either one of these molecules as an answer (it's extremely tough to tell the difference between them without some other information). However, in the interest of completeness, you have to compare typical shifts of a CH3COO carbon vs. a RCH2COO carbon. Doing this will tell you (roughly) that the peak at 33.85 ppm is a RCH2COO carbon, instead of an acetate. This would correctly identify the molecule as methyl pentanoate. Again, though, the spectra of the two molecules are similar enough that I'm not sure I'd worry if I didn't get it exactly right.

Related to C13 NMR Interpretation Homework - C,H,O 116g/mol

What is C13 NMR and why is it important in scientific research?

C13 NMR (Carbon-13 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) is a technique used to study the chemical structure and composition of molecules. It is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the connectivity and bonding in a molecule, as well as the functional groups present.

How do you interpret C13 NMR data for a molecule with a molecular formula of C,H,O 116g/mol?

To interpret C13 NMR data for a molecule with a molecular formula of C,H,O 116g/mol, you would first determine the number of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms in the molecule. Then, you would look at the chemical shifts and peak intensities in the NMR spectrum to identify the different types of carbon atoms present (e.g. sp3, sp2, sp), as well as any functional groups attached to those carbons. The peak integrations can also give information about the relative number of each type of carbon atom in the molecule.

What are the key factors that can affect the chemical shifts in C13 NMR?

The key factors that can affect the chemical shifts in C13 NMR include the type of carbon atom (sp3, sp2, sp), the hybridization of the carbon atom, the electronic environment (e.g. nearby electronegative atoms), and the presence of functional groups or substituents attached to the carbon atom.

How can C13 NMR be used to distinguish between structural isomers?

C13 NMR can be used to distinguish between structural isomers by looking at the chemical shifts and peak patterns in the NMR spectrum. Each structural isomer will have a unique set of chemical shifts and peak intensities, which can be used to identify and differentiate between them.

Are there any limitations to using C13 NMR for structural determination?

While C13 NMR is a powerful tool for structural determination, there are some limitations. It may not be able to distinguish between different types of functional groups with similar chemical shifts, and it may not provide information about the spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule. In addition, the quality of the NMR spectrum can be affected by impurities or solvent effects.