C++ how to use getline -- Having issues with this program

In summary: In both cases, startPos is the first character in the string to be searched. So if you set startPos to zero, find() and find_first_not_of() search the entire string. To start at the second character, set startPos = 1, etc.
needOfHelpCMath
A user types a word and a number on a single line. Read them into the provided variables. Then print: word_number. End with newline. Example output if user entered: Amy 5
Amy_5
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   string userWord;
   int userNum = 0;
userWord="Amy";
cout << userWord;
getline(cin,userWord);
   return 0;
}

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I don't see that you need getline() for this at all, only the stream extraction operator >>.

With a string variable, it skips any initial whitespace (blanks, tabs, newlines), then reads a single "word" (sequence of non-whitespace characters), stopping at the next whitespace character.

With a numeric variable, e.g. an int, it skips initial whitespace, then reads characters until it encounters a character that cannot be part of the number (e.g. whitespace).

Therefore the following code accomplishes the desired task:

C++:
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
    string userWord;
    int userNum = 0;

cout << "Please enter a (single) word and a number (integer)\n"
         << "separated by a space:" << endl;
    cin >> userWord >> userNum;
    cout << userWord << '_' << userNum << endl;

return 0;
}

But what if you're really supposed to use getline()?

C++:
    string userLine;
    getline (cin, userLine);

This reads the entire line at once, so that in your example, userLine contains the string "Amy 5". Now you need to parse the string, that is, split it up into "Amy" and "5", then convert the string "5" into the integer 5.

Here's one way to do it. The basic idea is to step through the line one character at a time, appending each blank character to userWord or userWord2, or skipping it.

C++:
//  Read non-blank characters and append them to userWord. Stop when we reach a blank.

int pos = 0;
    while (userLine[pos] != ' ')
    {
        userWord += userLine[pos];
        ++pos;
    }

//  Skip over the blank space between "words"

++pos;

//  Append the remaining characters (until the end of the line) to userWord2, then
//  convert userWord2 to an int.

string userWord2;
    while (pos < userLine.length())
    {
        userWord2 += userLine[pos];
        ++pos;
    }
    userNum = stoi (userWord2);  // standard function that converts string to int

This code also works if the number is longer than one digit. However, it doesn't anticipate some ways that the input could vary slightly. For example, what happens if there are blank spaces before the (first) word? I leave it as an exercise to fix this code so it takes this possibility into account. Also try to think up other situations like this, and fix them.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Plain old C has the required functions:
  • main( int argc, char *argv[ ], char *envp[ ] ) contains the number of parameters, and a pointer to a list of arguments
  • char *strtok(char *str, const char *delim) returns the "next" parameter from a string delimited by delim
Thus if argc equals 2, you can use printf("%s_%s", argv[1], argv[2]);

Likes Greg Bernhardt
C++ strings do have member functions for manipulating them, so you don't have to do everything character by character. In particular we have

• someString.find(whatever) which finds whatever (either a char or a string) in someString and returns its position
  • someString.substr(pos,nChars) which returns a substring of someString, specified by its location pos and length nChars
  • someString.length() which returns the number of characters contained in someString

These functions let us eliminate the fiddly character-loops in my previous solution.

C++:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
    string userWord;
    int userNum = 0;

cout << "Please enter a (single) word and a number (integer)\n"
         << "separated by a space:" << endl;

string userLine;
    getline (cin, userLine);

int spacePos = userLine.find(' ');
    int word1Pos = 0;
    int word1Length = spacePos;
    userWord = userLine.substr (word1Pos, word1Length);

int word2Pos = spacePos + 1;
    int word2Length = userLine.length() - word2Pos;
    string userWord2 = userLine.substr (word2Pos, word2Length);

userNum = stoi (userWord2);

cout << userWord << '_' << userNum << endl;

return 0;
}

Like my previous solution, this one also fails if the user enters spaces before the first word. To fix this problem, you can use a string member function someString.find_first_not_of(whatever) that finds the position of the first character that is not the specified one.

https://cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/find_first_not_of/

I also leave this as an exercise. Note that both find() and find_first_not_of() can be told to start their search at some location other than the beginning of the string: someString.find(whatever, startPos).

Related to C++ how to use getline -- Having issues with this program

1. How do I use the getline function in C++?

The getline function in C++ is used to read input from a stream until a specified delimiter is encountered. It takes two arguments: the input stream to read from and a string variable to store the input in. Example usage: getline(cin, inputString);

2. Why am I having issues with my getline program?

There could be several reasons why you are having issues with your getline program. Some common problems include not properly specifying the delimiter, not properly handling whitespace, or not correctly using the getline function. Make sure to carefully review your code and check for any potential errors.

3. How can I handle empty lines when using getline?

You can handle empty lines when using getline by checking if the input string is empty after using getline. If it is empty, you can choose to ignore it or handle it in a specific way according to your program's needs.

4. Can I use getline to read input from a file?

Yes, you can use getline to read input from a file. Instead of using cin as the input stream, you would specify the name of the file you want to read from. Example usage: getline(myFile, inputString);

5. Are there any alternative functions to getline in C++?

Yes, there are alternative functions to getline in C++ such as get and getline(). These functions offer different functionalities and may be more suitable for certain situations. It is important to choose the appropriate function based on your specific needs.