What Calculator Shall I Buy? Give me advice.

• Thread starter dividertabs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the best calculator to buy for someone in Warren's situation is the Casio CFX-9850GB Pluss. It is a great calculator that can do a lot of things and is worth the money.
dividertabs
By getting high enough grades, I got my mom to agree to buy me a calculator to upgrade from my TI-86. So what calculator should I buy? Currently I'm in math 252 (calculus 3rd semester), and I plan to continue studying calculus. I consider myself to be technologically proficient and I am willing to spend some time learning to use a good calculator.

I think my budget is about $200.

Physics news on Phys.org
Superb calculator sugesion

The calculator I bought a year ago does an amazing job in vertually all aspects of math (especially calculus). It is a Casio CFX-9850GB Pluss and I would recommend it to anyone, especially someone in your situation of looking to delve deaply into the wonderfully deap and complex world of calculs. It can even approximate any number in Eulers Defribulation Series up to 10 decimal places! (You'll understand this when you get into 4th year probably.) It does take a little learning, I recommend a short course at your local college to get you up to speed with the basics. I think they retail for around $US125 but well worth the $$ for this baby :cool: ! Enjoy!

I like my TI-89.

- Warren

My Ti-89 got me through high school calculus and helps serve as a check for the college courses I've taken.

Way better than the Ti-86 I had.

The TI-89 is probably the most obvious calculator, but can anyone elaborate on why I should choose it over similarly priced calculators made by different companies?
It would be great if someone who's used a few different calculators in advanced calculus would comment.

Well, you probably won't be allowed to use a hand calculator on a test anyway. For $200 you can probably get a student copy of Mathematica for your PC.

- Warren

i used a Ti-89 in high school.. and now I'm using an HP49G+

the hp is quicker (it seems), has a much nicer screen and personally, i just like it better

i cannot comment on the functionality, since i don't have the TI to compare with now and i suppose it should be obvious, but i am now using the HP to do much more complicated things than the TI... so my opinion may be slightly skewed

it may be a bit out of your price range, but it is a good buy.. the only thing that i don't like about it is the keyboard, it can be a bit of a pain to get used to

I can't compare either, but my TI-89 is all I've ever needed.

The symbolic math functions are very powerful, entering matrices and other information is a snap, and I like that it keeps such a long buffer (30 problems).

If only I could teach it to make me coffee in the morning...

1. What are the key features to consider when buying a calculator?

The key features to consider when buying a calculator are its functionality, display type, power source, durability, and price. Make sure the calculator has all the necessary functions you need, such as basic arithmetic, scientific functions, and graphing capabilities. The display type should be easy to read and navigate. Decide if you want a calculator that runs on batteries or has a rechargeable battery. Consider the durability of the calculator, especially if you plan on using it frequently. Lastly, set a budget and stick to it.

2. What type of calculator is best for my needs?

The type of calculator that is best for your needs depends on your intended use. If you are a student, a basic scientific calculator with graphing capabilities may be sufficient. For more advanced mathematical or scientific work, a graphing calculator with a larger display and more functions would be better. Business professionals may benefit from a financial calculator with features such as currency conversions and interest rate calculations.

3. Do I need a calculator with a CAS (Computer Algebra System) for my math classes?

It depends on the requirements of your math classes. A calculator with a CAS can perform algebraic equations and symbol manipulation, which may be necessary for higher level math courses. However, some schools may not allow the use of a calculator with a CAS during exams. It is best to check with your professor or school guidelines before purchasing a calculator with a CAS.

4. Is it worth investing in a more expensive calculator?

It depends on your needs and budget. If you only need a basic calculator for simple calculations, a more affordable option may suffice. However, if you require advanced mathematical or scientific functions, investing in a higher-end calculator may be worth it in the long run. Consider the cost-benefit and how often you will use the calculator before making a decision.

5. Are there any additional features or accessories I should consider?

Some calculators may come with additional features such as built-in memory, touch screen capabilities, or the ability to connect to a computer. Consider if these features are necessary for your needs. Additionally, you may want to purchase a protective case or screen protector to ensure the longevity of your calculator.