C and h are not fundamental constants?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fundamental constants in physics and how some physicists view the speed of light and Planck's constant as conversion factors rather than fundamental constants. These constants can be eliminated by choosing the right units of measurement, leading some to argue that they are not truly fundamental. However, the conversation also acknowledges that the speed of light has a special significance due to its relationship with the laws of physics. The conversation also touches on the fine structure constant and its energy dependence, and provides a link to further reading on the topic. The overall conclusion is that the definition of a fundamental constant can be debated and depends on one's perspective.
kmm
I was looking through Zee's 'Quantum Field theory in a Nutshell" and he says that [itex] c [/itex] and [itex] \hbar [/itex] are "not so much fundamental constants as conversion factors." I've heard other physicists say this as well. I understand that these constants are used in some equations to give units of energy so in this sense I understand how they are "conversion factors" but we can't we still regard them as fundamental constants? Zee didn't say they absolutely aren't, but I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to get at with his distinction. That is, why is putting more emphasis on them as conversion factors than fundamental constants?

Physics news on Phys.org
By selecting the right units in which to measure length, time, and energy you can make both ##c## and ##\hbar## equal to one. Since they can be eliminated by a convenient choice of units, they can't be that fundamental. Furthermore, any significant amount of work in special relativity and quantum mechanics will convince you that those units in which ##c## and ##\hbar## are eliminated are the *right* ones to use when working with the fundamental laws. See here for a nice analogy.

Compare, say, the fine structure constant, which is approximately 1/137 regardless of your choice of units and therefore is a better candidate for a "fundamental" constant.

Last edited:
The_Duck said:
By selecting the right units in which to measure length, time, and energy you can make both ##c## and ##\hbar## equal to one. Since they can be eliminated by a convenient choice of units, they can't be that fundamental. Furthermore, any significant amount of work in special relativity and quantum mechanics will convince you that those units in which ##c## and ##\hbar## are eliminated are the *right* ones to use when working with the fundamental laws. See here for a nice analogy.

Compare, say, the fine structure constant, which is approximately 1/137 regardless of your choice of units and therefore is a better candidate for a "fundamental" constant.

Thanks for clarifying that more. I've never really thought about the physical constants in this way. I can understand why we want to say that a constant is "fundamental" when it is a number that it is independent of the units used.

At the same time I still want to call for example, the speed of light, a fundamental constant. No matter what reference frame or units are used, we come to a number for the speed of light which still describes the same speed. So perhaps it's that the speed of light is itself fundamental but the constant itself isn't. I suppose I'm being a bit semantical about this.

how can an energy dependent quantity as the fine structure, be considered fundamental? (just to avoid misconceptions)
I guess you mean that whatever the choice of your units, it is always 1/137 at low energies.

phy_infinite said:
At the same time I still want to call for example, the speed of light, a fundamental constant. No matter what reference frame or units are used, we come to a number for the speed of light which still describes the same speed. So perhaps it's that the speed of light is itself fundamental but the constant itself isn't. I suppose I'm being a bit semantical about this.

Yes, there is a fundamental important thing here, and it is that the laws of physics are invariant under Lorentz transformations. This symmetry means that time and distance ought properly to be measured in the same units. Therefore an object's speed is really a dimensionless number, and the speed 1 (i.e., the speed of light) is indeed special and important.

ChrisVer said:
how can an energy dependent quantity as the fine structure, be considered fundamental? (just to avoid misconceptions)
I guess you mean that whatever the choice of your units, it is always 1/137 at low energies.

I knew someone was going to quibble about this. Yes, to be definite pick ##\alpha(\mu = 0)## or ##\alpha(\mu = m_Z)## or something, or better yet the coupling constants of whatever GUT underlies the standard model.

Last edited:
The_Duck said:
Yes, there is a fundamental important thing here, and it is that the laws of physics are invariant under Lorentz transformations. This symmetry means that time and distance ought properly to be measured in the same units. Therefore an object's speed is really a dimensionless number, and the speed 1 (i.e., the speed of light) is indeed special and important.

Exactly, this is what I expected.

DaleSpam said:
Here is my favorite page on the topic:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/constants.html

Thanks for that!

The Lorentz transformations and space rotations are the only example I am familiar with, in terms of continuous coordinate transformations for things that are usually given with units of different dimension.

However, if there are any others I am unaware of, wouldn't the same logic apply generally? Any two coordinates x and y, between which there is some continuous transform preserving some sort of metric, should be able to be put into the same units/dimension, correct?

Last edited:

Related to C and h are not fundamental constants?

1. What does it mean that C and h are not fundamental constants?

It means that the speed of light (C) and the Planck constant (h) are not fixed values that are universal and unchanging. They may vary depending on certain conditions or contexts.

2. How do we know that C and h are not fundamental constants?

Scientists have conducted experiments and observations that have shown that the values of C and h can change in different situations. Additionally, some theories, such as quantum mechanics, suggest that these constants may not be truly constant.

3. Why are C and h important in physics?

C and h are important in physics because they are essential components in many equations and principles, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and energy.

4. What factors can cause C and h to vary?

There are several factors that can cause C and h to vary, including changes in temperature, gravity, and energy levels. Additionally, some theories propose that these constants may vary over time or in different regions of the universe.

5. How does the variability of C and h impact our understanding of the universe?

The variability of C and h challenges our current understanding of the laws of physics and the concept of a universal reality. It also raises questions about the stability and predictability of the universe. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the implications of this variability.