C = 10^-6Analyzing Parallel RLC Circuits: A Challenging Homework Problem

In summary: C = 0.00005In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem that requires solving for unknown values using equations for resonant frequency, inductive reactance, capacitive reactance, and quality factor. The problem is challenging and has caused the individual to seek help on the internet. The equations provided are used to determine the unknown values, with the exception of the unknown value Rw, which may stand for winding resistance. The individual is also unsure if seeking help on the internet is allowed for the take-home exam.
Keenan

Homework Statement

CoPPLoB.jpg

2. Homework Equations
Resonant Frequency = 1 / [2 * pi * squareroot(LC)]
Inductive Reactance = 2 * pi * f *L
Capacitive Reactance = 1 / (2 * pi * f * C)
Q = XL/Rw
BW = fr/Q[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The information in the handy dandy jpeg I created is LITTERALLY all the information I was given for a take home exam. My instructor has never given an analysis problem that couldn't be solved, especially when there are only 2 on the exam. An electrical engineer friend and I couldn't tackle it. Without either the Capacitor, Inductor, or Reactance values I don't know that I have enough given information to solve. If I am wrong, then I lose 20% off my exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a non EE myself, I have two questions:
1. What does XL stand for?
2. Are you supposed to get help on the internet for your take-home exam?

We are allowed to collaborate, use books, the internet, seek help. My instructor never said to reach out for help. Even if this is the only time I've ever needed to reach out like this on a homework problem. Our finals are Monday of next week. I think he didn't want to spend a whole class period doing the exam.

XL stands for inductive reactance. It is the inductors opposition to current through an inductor. Inductive Reactance equals 2 x pi x frequency x inductance. It is answered in Ohms.

Hi Keenan. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

You start with this equation: BW = fr/Q
determine the unknown, then you move to another of those equations you supplied ...

BTW, I'm not sure what Rw stands for, but I'll pretend it stands for winding resistance

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Keenan
RW is winding resistance.

I cannot believe I didn't see that ...

Q = 12
XL = 120

Related to C = 10^-6Analyzing Parallel RLC Circuits: A Challenging Homework Problem

1. What is a parallel RLC circuit?

A parallel RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that the components share the same two nodes, with the current splitting into multiple paths through each component.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing a parallel RLC circuit?

The purpose of analyzing a parallel RLC circuit is to understand how the components interact with each other and how they affect the overall behavior of the circuit. This can help in designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

3. How do you calculate the total impedance of a parallel RLC circuit?

The total impedance (Z) of a parallel RLC circuit is calculated using the formula: Z = 1/((1/R)+(1/jwC)+(jwL)), where R is the resistance, C is the capacitance, L is the inductance, and w is the angular frequency. This formula takes into account the effects of both the resistance and reactance of the components.

4. What is the resonance frequency of a parallel RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of a parallel RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal, resulting in the minimum impedance of the circuit. It can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2π√(LC), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

5. How does the frequency affect the behavior of a parallel RLC circuit?

The frequency of an input signal has a significant impact on the behavior of a parallel RLC circuit. At low frequencies, the inductive reactance dominates and the circuit behaves more like an inductor. At high frequencies, the capacitive reactance dominates and the circuit behaves more like a capacitor. The resonance frequency is where the circuit exhibits minimum impedance and maximum current flow.