By how much does the thermal energy of the gas change?

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermodynamic process involving hydrogen and the calculation of work done on the gas. The equations used are the ideal gas law and the change in internal energy formula for a monotonic gas. The conversation also addresses the calculation of thermal energy change and the amount of heat energy transferred to the gas. The final answer is determined to be +25.8 J and it is clarified that heat has only one convention, which is heat added to the system.
mssca
This is my very first post... :) I found some help here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=277092 But I have a difficulty in sloving second and third part

Homework Statement

The figure shows(check the link) a thermodynamic process followed by 1.90×10^−2 of hydrogen (link to the graph: http://tiny.cc/c9m0h
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1074025/3/knight_Figure_17_65.jpg

I get -50.7J for the work done on the gas which is right... now they want to calculate:

By how much does the thermal energy of the gas change?
AND
How much heat energy is transferred to the gas?

Please help me... I spent hours reading the textbook, but I still don't get it.

Homework Equations

Eth=W+Q
pV=nRT
Q=nCdeltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

By how much does the thermal energy of the gas change? After using above equations and
I get dalta T = 64.15859142 AND I get Eth=-15

For this question "How much heat energy is transferred to the gas?" the heat energy is what?

Please help me... Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You also know that a monotonic gas, such as hydrogen, has a change in internal energy as such:

∆E=3/2 n R ∆T

You can use some ideal gas law and some other reasoning to change this to an expression with PV. Once you know the energy change, the heat should be easy. Give it a try. :)

Mindscrape said:
You also know that a monotonic gas, such as hydrogen, has a change in internal energy as such:

∆E=3/2 n R ∆T

You can use some ideal gas law and some other reasoning to change this to an expression with PV. Once you know the energy change, the heat should be easy. Give it a try. :)

I got it! Except for the last section "How much heat energy is transferred to the gas?" Is is -25.8 oR +25.8...? My dad thinks it should be +25.8. I have the answer for the last section but I don't know if it is +/-. How do you determine +/-? For part B I entered 24.9J but it came out wrong and when I entered -24.9J it came out right.

Thanks.

Fortunately, heat has only one convention, which is heat added to the system.

∆U=Q+W (work done on the system)

-24.9=Q-50.7

Q=25.8

So, the gas did a certain amount of work in expanding (work was done by the gas), the internal energy decreased, and heat was added to the system.

Mindscrape said:
Fortunately, heat has only one convention, which is heat added to the system.

∆U=Q+W (work done on the system)

-24.9=Q-50.7

Q=25.8

So, the gas did a certain amount of work in expanding (work was done by the gas), the internal energy decreased, and heat was added to the system.

Got it! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

Related to By how much does the thermal energy of the gas change?

1. How is thermal energy of a gas defined?

The thermal energy of a gas is the total kinetic energy of its molecules, which is a measure of the average motion of the molecules.

2. What factors affect the thermal energy of a gas?

The thermal energy of a gas is affected by the number of molecules present, the mass of the molecules, and the average speed of the molecules.

3. How is the thermal energy of a gas measured?

The thermal energy of a gas is typically measured in units of Joules (J) using a thermometer or other temperature measuring device.

4. How does the thermal energy of a gas change with temperature?

The thermal energy of a gas increases as its temperature increases, and decreases as its temperature decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules have a higher average speed, resulting in more kinetic energy.

5. How can the thermal energy of a gas be changed?

The thermal energy of a gas can be changed by adding or removing heat to the gas. This can be done through processes such as heating, cooling, or compressing the gas.