Buzz aldrin posing, NASA artists?

• NASA
  • Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nasa
In summary, there are two different versions of photos of Buzz Aldrin posing, one with more gray and one with greater contrast. The reason for this difference is that NASA sometimes makes exposure and cropping changes to obtain the optimal photograph. There have been claims about lightning issues in one of the photos, but these claims are not valid as most photographs undergo some level of manipulation for clarity and there is no requirement to inform the public of these changes. The purpose of these changes is not to deceive, but to enhance the message.
jostpuur
I've noticed that there are (at least) two kind of photos of the famous Buzz Aldrin posing.

593px-Aldrin_Apollo_11_original.jpg

and

600px-Aldrin_Apollo_11.jpg

Other one is more gray, and other one has greater contrast with darker boundaries. What's the story behind this difference?

I don't have a link now, but I recall I once read somewhere that the grayer one is the original. Am I correct to guess, that NASA has some artists whose purpose is to make photos more romantic? And some photos get secondary versions that are supposed to look better?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think either is the "original" note that the one you wish to call the "original" is a crop of the top image. It has more of the gold thing in the foreground.

Beyond that what is your point? Is NASA not permitted to make exposure and cropping changes to obtain the optimal photograph?

Edit: looks like that 2nd image was still loading when I typed up the above, now it appears to have the same content, just better exposure and formatting. Still not a mystery of any sort. Nor are the exposure adjustments extreme.

(I changed the pictures after the first responders response, so if something doesn't make sense, it could be part of the reason)

Integral said:
Beyond that what is your point? Is NASA not permitted to make exposure and cropping changes to obtain the optimal photograph?

By exposure change you mean the technique where center of the photo is made brighter and boundaries are left darker? I'm already suspecting that this is what has been done, but I'm still interested to know if somebody knows more details about the story of this photo.

For example, if some photo was released in a year 19xx and then some artist with name XYZ decided that it is too boring, and a second version was released in year 19yy, I'm interested. Nothing more, that's my point.

btw, I'm probably not the only one who thinks that it is not a good idea to make too dramatic changes to the photos, at least if the viewers are not informed well about this? We all know that now there are, err.., "certain claims" out there about the lightning issues in this photo.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
btw, I'm probably not the only one who thinks that it is not a good idea to make too dramatic changes to the photos, at least if the viewers are not informed well about this?
Just about every single photograph you see in any publication, anywhere, at any time has been manipulated in some way. In 99.999999999..% of cases this is not done to deceive, but to enhance the clarity of the message. There is no point, need, or requirement that the public should be informed of these changes.
So you may not think it is a good idea to make such changes, but you had best understand that practically all the visual media you see have been treated in this way.
jostpuur said:
We all know that now there are, err.., "certain claims" out there about the lightning issues in this photo.
Claims which have as much authenticity as finding Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking People buried in Skarra Brae along with a copy of the Beano. When we allow our normal everyday actions to be dictated to by the lunacy of idiots we might as well all pack up civilisation and head back to the trees.

Ophiolite, I feel like I've been "channeled" ;)...

junglebeast said:
Ophiolite, I feel like I've been "channeled" ;)...
Many people can recognise idiocy when they see it. Only a few are foolish enough to invest time decrying it.:wink:

Related to Buzz aldrin posing, NASA artists?

1. Who is Buzz Aldrin?

Buzz Aldrin, born Edwin Eugene Aldrin Jr., is a former American astronaut and engineer. He is best known for being the second person to walk on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969.

2. Why is Buzz Aldrin posing?

Buzz Aldrin's posing is most likely for publicity or promotional purposes. As a well-known astronaut and public figure, he often participates in media events or photoshoots to promote space exploration and NASA.

3. What is the significance of NASA artists?

NASA artists play a crucial role in visualizing and communicating complex scientific concepts to the general public. They create illustrations, animations, and other visual representations that help people understand NASA's missions and discoveries.

4. How did Buzz Aldrin become involved with NASA artists?

Buzz Aldrin has been involved with NASA artists since his time as an astronaut. During his missions with NASA, he often worked closely with artists to help visualize and communicate scientific concepts and accomplishments.

5. What type of art do NASA artists create?

NASA artists create a variety of art, including illustrations, paintings, sculptures, and digital media. They also use different techniques and mediums to create their artwork, such as sketching, painting, 3D modeling, and animation.