Buying/building piezoelectric sensors and actuators?

In summary, the individual is starting research with piezoelectric materials and is looking for non-toxic PVDF and ceramic options. They mention their preference for purchasing cheap films for the PVDF polymer and inquire about the possibility of making their own actuator with raw ceramics. They also ask for suggestions on where to purchase these materials for under $100 and if free samples are available. The expert provides some insight on PVDF's toxicity and advises against attempting to make a sensor from scratch. They recommend looking into already existing sensors from companies such as Murata, TDK, and FGP.
gsjbjt
Has anyone worked with piezoelectric materials before? Currently starting research work with them and totally new to these materials...
I'm currently looking to buy CHEAP *non-toxic* piezoelectric PVDF and ceramics. Goodfellow seems to have PVDF, but paradoxically the website says it's a toxic irritant. For some reason I seem to recall that PVDF is naturally nontoxic.
Anyways, for the PVDF polymer, I'm preferably looking for cheap films that can eventually be incorporated into a sensor.
For the ceramics, not sure how this will work but is it possible to buy raw ceramics and make it into an actuator yourself? Has anyone tried this before, any tips/insight?

Would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest any websites that sell this stuff <$100? Even better if you think they would offer free samples. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
gsjbjt said:
Has anyone worked with piezoelectric materials before?
Yes, quite a few...

About PVDF, I believe it's essentially non-toxic. Maybe Goodfellow refers to fumes if it's overheated, or to dust if manage to inhale or ingest it. Do you know to interpret a safety data sheet?

Toxicity isn't the first thought when considering piezo materials... Do you have special constraints, like implant you object as a prothesis in a patient? If it's a door ring people don't care about toxicity of a solid material.

I'm a bit surprised you consider making a sensor by yourself but ignore how. You'd better buy a sensor: all exist already, and hugely better and cheaper than what you might achieve in a uncertain future after learning the hard way how to do it. Have a look at Murata, TDK, FGP and so many more.

Related to Buying/building piezoelectric sensors and actuators?

What are piezoelectric sensors and actuators?

Piezoelectric sensors and actuators are devices that are used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. They utilize the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress.

What are the benefits of using piezoelectric sensors and actuators?

Some benefits of using piezoelectric sensors and actuators include high sensitivity, fast response time, wide frequency range, and the ability to operate in harsh environments. They also do not require an external power source and have a longer lifespan compared to other types of sensors and actuators.

What are the common applications of piezoelectric sensors and actuators?

Piezoelectric sensors and actuators have a wide range of applications, including in medical devices, industrial machinery, automotive systems, consumer electronics, and aerospace technology. They are commonly used for vibration sensing, force and pressure measurement, and precision positioning.

What should I consider when buying/building piezoelectric sensors and actuators?

Some important factors to consider when purchasing or building piezoelectric sensors and actuators include the type of material used, the desired sensitivity and frequency range, the required size and shape, and the environmental conditions in which they will be used. It is also important to consider the cost and availability of the components.

Can I customize piezoelectric sensors and actuators for my specific needs?

Yes, it is possible to customize piezoelectric sensors and actuators for specific applications. This can be done by choosing the appropriate materials, designing the shape and size, and adjusting the sensitivity and frequency range. However, it is important to consult with a professional and conduct thorough testing to ensure the effectiveness of the customized sensors and actuators.