Buy HP Laptop for ChemE: Thoughts & Reviews

In summary, the HP I am ordering has all the most up to date ports (tv, firewire, USB 2.0, etc.), a MD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache) processor, and 1GB of RAM. As I have to be able to run HYSYS, ChemCAD and the like on my computer performance is important to me, and I agree laptops in class are inconvenient otherwise. I have an HP notebook computer, as a mater of fact, I am using it right now.
omagdon7
I am currently buying a laptop for my first ChemE class and I have settled on an HP I was wondering what feedback or comments other people might have. The notebook I'm ordering has all the most up to date ports (tv, firewire, USB 2.0, etc.) I ordered it with a MD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache) processor and 1GB of RAM. As I have to be able to run HYSYS, ChemCAD and the like on my computer performance is important to me.

So basically I am just interested in hearing what people think of HP in terms of value, and of my specific specs in terms of functionality for my purposes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although i have a laptop, i still haven't planned to use it in school at all...
In most case, writting is faster than typing in science classses due to the use of symbles.

My answer is that I will go with Fujitsu. Fuijtsu's laptop is really good. Although it is expensive, but it hasnt frozen for 3 damn years... not once. HP isn't a bad brand too.

Unless your classrooms are wired for interconnectivity particularly with the prof and his/her notes, I think I would find computers highly inconvenient for taking notes primarily for the reasons Leon pointed out.

Also, from the perspective of the other side, it's distracting to an instructor when students are clacking away at the keyboard and not necessarily engaged in notetaking or class participation! :)

Last edited:
TBH, Apple Powerbooks are really nice but they're coming out with Intel versions in 2007.

The class has wireless internet access to notes and more importantly to use HYSYS I have to be connected to the internet in the classroom. I agree laptops in class are inconvenient otherwise.

I have an HP notebook computer, as a mater of fact, I am using it right now.
I like HP from my experience with then, they have always given me good service and quality products, I have no problems with them.

I don't bring the laptop to class though, it is more of a personal preference than anything else, it keeps me more focused on the class at hand and I find it just easier to take notes the "old fasion" way.
Plus, in some of my classes (or rather just 1), the teacher is quite strict about NO open laptops during class, if she sees it, then ... let's just say you don't want to know. But most teachers leave it up to the student, thinking that at this level they are responcible enough to know what works best.

you might get more response to types of laptops under the computer section of the forums.

And I've had a bad history with hp's so I don't ever touch them.

Fujitsu Amillo 1360D is what I'd recommend with a gig of ram and AMD 64 3700+, also check out the 6000 series HP's I believe they have one with a 4000+ cpu for just over a thousand $

Related to Buy HP Laptop for ChemE: Thoughts & Reviews

1. What are the key specifications to consider when buying an HP laptop for chemical engineering?

The key specifications to consider when buying an HP laptop for chemical engineering are the processor speed, amount of RAM, storage capacity, graphics card, and battery life. These are all important for running complex software and performing data analysis in the field of chemical engineering.

2. Is an HP laptop a good choice for chemical engineering students?

Yes, HP laptops are a great choice for chemical engineering students. They offer powerful processors, ample storage, and long battery life, making them ideal for running software used in the field of chemical engineering. Additionally, they are often more affordable than other brands, making them a practical option for students on a budget.

3. Can you provide a review of the HP laptops commonly used by chemical engineers?

The most commonly used HP laptops by chemical engineers include the HP Spectre x360, HP Envy 15, and HP Pavilion 15. These laptops all offer high-performance processors, ample storage, and long battery life, making them suitable for the demanding tasks of chemical engineering. They also have sleek designs and are lightweight, making them easy to carry around for fieldwork.

4. Are there any specific features that make an HP laptop a good choice for chemical engineering work?

Yes, HP laptops have several features that make them a good choice for chemical engineering work. Some of these features include the ability to run complex software, high-speed processors for quick data analysis, and durable build quality for withstanding frequent use. Additionally, many HP laptops have touchscreens and 2-in-1 capabilities, which can be useful for drawing chemical structures and taking notes during lectures.

5. What is the average price range for an HP laptop suitable for chemical engineering?

The average price range for an HP laptop suitable for chemical engineering is between $800 to $1500. However, there are also more budget-friendly options available that can still meet the needs of chemical engineering students and professionals. It ultimately depends on the specific features and specifications required for your work.