Solving 2 Physics Problems: Work and Force Calculations

In summary, the first conversation discusses the calculation of work done by a student running up three flights of stairs and the second conversation involves finding the force applied on Bob by the safety bar while riding a roller coaster. The correct answer for the second question is 522 N, but if gravity is assumed to be 10 m/s^2, then the answer would be 507 N.
Format
k few questions I am stuck on...

1) A student with a mass of 80.0 kg runs up three flights of stairs in 12.0 sec. The student has gone a vertical distance of 8.0 m. Determind the amount of work done by the student to elevate his body to this height. (constant speed)

and..

2) Bob is riding a rollar coster. He enconters a small hill with a radius of curviture of 12.0 m. At the crest of the hill he is lifted off his seat and held in by the safty bar. If noah is traveling with a speed of 14.0 m/s then find out the force applied by the safty bar upon Bob's 80 kg body.

Help please lol

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The work done is his potenial energy (mgh) divided by the time taken.
2) Newtons 3rd law, the force pulling him towards the centre is centripical force given by F = mv^2/r so the bar reacts with an equal and opposite force.

Blistering Peanut said:
1) The work done is his potenial energy (mgh) divided by the time taken.
I don't think that's right. The work done is simply the change in energy, which in this case is strictly gravitational potential energy, mgh. What you've described (dividing by the average time) is the average power.
2) Newtons 3rd law, the force pulling him towards the centre is centripical force given by F = mv^2/r so the bar reacts with an equal and opposite force.
Right idea, but the bar doesn't react with any force, the bar is the object providing the centripetal force. By the way, who the heck is Noah? I'm guessing he meant Bob.

Great, thanks guys. Yea Noah was a typo lol

lol, the guy's having an identity crisis.

k sorry to bump an old post, but i still can't figure out the 2nd question here. The answer is supposed to be 507 N

Are you sure it's 507 N? I get 522 N. Here's my solution:

At the top of the hill, two forces are acting on Bob: His weight (mg) and the normal force of the bar (Fb). They both act downward. Since Bob is undergoing uniform circular motion at the top of the hill, his acceleration is v^2/r downward. Setting up the full equation and solving for N:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\sum F = mg + F_b &= m\frac{v^2}{r}\\
F_b &= m\frac{v^2}{r} - mg\\
\end{align}
[/tex]

Plugging in the values you gave (m = 80 kg, v = 14 m/s, r = 12 m), I get about 522 N.

Last edited:
Yea that's what i got, i think the worksheet made Gravity = 10. Thx :biggrin:

Yes, g = 10 m^2/s would give you 507 N. Did the worksheet specify that? Kind of bizarre, unless it's supposed to be overly simple.

What is the definition of work in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance over which the force is applied.

How do you calculate work?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied, in the same direction as the force.

What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related in physics. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, and the amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in energy of that object.