Business major with a minor in nuclear engineering

In summary, the speaker is currently an international business and accounting major with a minor in Chinese. They are interested in taking nuclear engineering as a minor, but are unsure of what career opportunities it may offer. The expert notes that it is rare for universities to offer a minor in nuclear engineering and that a strong background in the subject is required. They suggest that with a business background, there may be opportunities in the field related to energy policy and financial aspects of energy technology. The speaker also mentions a course they took in nuclear engineering that covered terminology, scientific aspects, technical background, and basic economics of nuclear energy and power plants.
hojaechung
I am currently and international business and accounting major with a minor in chinese.
i love what i am doing but i want to take nuclear engineering, aside from the fact that the subject is fascinating i would love to do it...
only question is, as a business major what could i do with nuclear engineering as a minor?

Physics news on Phys.org
hojaechung said:
I am currently and international business and accounting major with a minor in chinese.
i love what i am doing but i want to take nuclear engineering, aside from the fact that the subject is fascinating i would love to do it...
only question is, as a business major what could i do with nuclear engineering as a minor?
I'm not aware of any university that offers a minor in nuclear engineering, since one would need at the very least a one-year (rwo-semester) course in nuclear reactor physics, as well as the pre-requisites. Certainly, there is opportunity in the field for someone with a business background, but in a more general sense regarding energy policy related to the financial aspects of energy technology.

The first course in the nuclear engineering department in which I obtained my degrees was a course that introduced students to the field. The text familiarized students with the terminology and some of the scientific aspects and technical background of nuclear energy and power plant. There was some basic economics of nuclear energy and power plants.

Related to Business major with a minor in nuclear engineering

1. What is a business major with a minor in nuclear engineering?

A business major with a minor in nuclear engineering is a degree program that combines the study of business principles and practices with the fundamentals of nuclear engineering. It is designed to prepare students for careers in the nuclear industry, where they can utilize their knowledge of both business and engineering.

2. What courses will I take in this program?

The specific courses will vary depending on the university, but generally, students in this program will take courses in business subjects such as accounting, finance, and marketing, as well as courses in nuclear engineering such as nuclear physics, reactor design, and radiation protection.

3. What career opportunities are available with this degree?

Graduates of a business major with a minor in nuclear engineering can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including nuclear power plants, government agencies, consulting firms, and research facilities. They may work in roles such as project managers, nuclear engineers, or financial analysts.

4. Is this degree program challenging?

Yes, this degree program is challenging as it combines two complex subjects - business and nuclear engineering. Students will need to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and time management skills to succeed in this program.

5. How can I prepare for this program?

To prepare for a business major with a minor in nuclear engineering, it is recommended to take high school courses in math, physics, and business. It may also be helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in the nuclear industry.