Bus Topology: Connecting Computers to the "Bus

In summary: Called 10Base-2, or thinnet, the cabling was coax, and it ran a straight line, with terminators at either end. Tapping into the cable via T-connectors were leads which went to the coax cards in every computer.That was truly the last true "bus" design in the business, as all others offer some sort of hub and spoke design, with 10Base-T being the first, basic hub, rebroadcasting data arriving at one port to all ports.A switch simply applies some intelligence, figuring out from the packet whether to send it to a specifically intended receiver, to that receiver, or whether to rever to hub mode and broadcast. Layer 3 switches
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://en.kioskea.net/contents/initiation/topologi.php3
Bus topology is the simplest way a network can be organised. In bus topology, all computers are linked to the same transmission line by using a cable, usually coaxial. The word "bus" refers to the physical line that joins all the machines on the network.

initiation-images-bus.gif

What connects the cables coming from the computers to the "bus"? I can't quite get the idea of connecting these cables to another cable when connecting devices aren't mentioned.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The bus is just the cable running between each computer.
Like an ethernet cable - it's called a bus when it's shared (like the original ethernet) it would be better drawn with the wire looping form one machine to the nex

Thanks, MGB. So would it actually look more like this if it was physically set up?

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 462
Ironically it would be better to draw it as a star. The point of a bus is that a voltage on it is immediately seen by all interfaces connected to the bus.

(A star network is different - there is usually some logic in the hub to control where the data goes)

mgb_phys said:
Ironically it would be better to draw it as a star. The point of a bus is that a voltage on it is immediately seen by all interfaces connected to the bus.

hmm.. I'm having trouble drawing it as a star configuration without a hub (or switch) since, as you said, then I have a star topology. I less trouble envisioning it wirelessly, but I know that these networks were originally set up using coaxial cable, so there must be a way to diagram that design.
(A star network is different - there is usually some logic in the hub to control where the data goes)
Do you mean a switch? From what I've been reading, hubs seem pretty dumb, just sending the data on to every other host on the network. But I think you could have either a hub or a switch to connect the star network (I don't know this for sure).

Thanks again for your help.

I found the solution. The cables can be connected to other cables with T-connectors.

The two choices for connecting your devices to a multi-drop doubly-terminated bus are Daisy-Chain or with stubs.

For a given network type, there will be a specification for how long the stubs can be. For RS-485, for example, zero-length stubs (Daisy-Chain routing of the network twisted pair) are mandatory. For some networks, like the 78kbps control network that my company makes transceivers for, the stubs are allowed to be up to 3 meters long.

berkeman said:
The two choices for connecting your devices to a multi-drop doubly-terminated bus are Daisy-Chain or with stubs.

For a given network type, there will be a specification for how long the stubs can be. For RS-485, for example, zero-length stubs (Daisy-Chain routing of the network twisted pair) are mandatory. For some networks, like the 78kbps control network that my company makes transceivers for, the stubs are allowed to be up to 3 meters long.

Thanks, Berkeman. What is meant by "multi-drop" and what are "stubs"?

Math Is Hard said:
Thanks, Berkeman. What is meant by "multi-drop" and what are "stubs"?

Your cat is scaring me. But I'll try to answer under duress... :-p

Multi-drop means more than one TX node and one RX node. Two nodes is point-to-point at the ends of the DT bus, which is regular Ethernet comm. >Two nodes is multidrop.

But in control networks and other specialized networks, you want up to 64 nodes all working together, and that's when the multidrop 64 node network comes into play.

And sorry. Stubs are the short lengths of twised pair cables that you use to connect the main bus TP to the nodes. They need to be electrically short,

Thanks mucho. I'll change my avatar later. Just for you. :wink:

Math Is Hard said:
hmm.. I'm having trouble drawing it as a star configuration without a hub (or switch) since, as you said, then I have a star topology. I less trouble envisioning it wirelessly, but I know that these networks were originally set up using coaxial cable, so there must be a way to diagram that design.

Bingo, and you got it right in your first diagram.

Called 10Base-2, or thinnet, the cabling was coax, and it ran a straight line, with terminators at either end. Tapping into the cable via T-connectors were leads which went to the coax cards in every computer.

That was truly the last true "bus" design in the business, as all others offer some sort of hub and spoke design, with 10Base-T being the first, basic hub, rebroadcasting data arriving at one port to all ports.

A switch simply applies some intelligence, figuring out from the packet whether to send it to a specifically intended receiver, to that receiver, or whether to rever to hub mode and broadcast. Layer 3 switches went a step further, but that's getting beyond the scope of the question!

Do you mean a switch? From what I've been reading, hubs seem pretty dumb, just sending the data on to every other host on the network. But I think you could have either a hub or a switch to connect the star network (I don't know this for sure).

Yes - both hubs and switches are star topology networks.

Related to Bus Topology: Connecting Computers to the "Bus

1. What is a bus topology?

A bus topology is a type of computer network configuration where all devices are connected to a central cable, called the "bus", through which data is transmitted.

2. What devices are needed to implement a bus topology?

To implement a bus topology, you will need a central cable (the "bus"), network interface cards (NICs) for each device, and terminators at both ends of the bus to prevent signal reflection.

3. What are the advantages of using a bus topology?

The main advantage of a bus topology is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. It is easy to set up and requires less cabling compared to other topologies. It also allows for easy expansion and addition of new devices.

4. What are the disadvantages of a bus topology?

A major disadvantage of a bus topology is that if the central cable (the "bus") fails, the entire network will be affected. Additionally, as more devices are added, the network can become slow and congested due to collisions.

5. How does data transmission work in a bus topology?

In a bus topology, data is transmitted in a single direction along the central cable. Each device on the network receives the data and checks if it is intended for them. If not, the data is ignored. If the data is intended for a particular device, it is accepted and processed by that device.