Buoyant Force Conceptual Question

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular wooden block that initially floats with half of its volume submerged. After adding 20g of mass on top of the block, it becomes fully submerged and the buoyant force must now support the weight of the block plus the added mass. Using Archimedes' principle, we can determine that the mass of the wooden block is 40g.
mantillab

Homework Statement

A rectangular wooden block of weight W floats with exactly one-half of its volume below the waterline. Masses are stacked on top of the block until the top of the block is level with the waterline. This requires 20g of mass. What is the mass of the wooden block?

Homework Equations

Buoyant Force:
F_b = (p_f)(V_f)(g) = w_o = (p_o)(V_o)(g)

Mass Density:
m = pV

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the block is initially half submerged, its density is one-half of the water:
p_o = 0.50g/cm^3

I'm assuming that the density of the block and the density of the fluid don't change. Without the volume, I don't see how to use the formulas...

My only guess at the answer is 40g because it would require 20g to overcome the initial buoyant force (where the block floats halfway submerged)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to guess. Use Archimedes' principle and equilibrium.

(1) The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid--the volume of that fluid is just half the volume of the block. BF = weight of block.

(2) After adding weight, what happened to the buoyant force? (How does it compare to the previous buoyant force?) That new buoyant force BF' must equal the total weight of block plus added weights.

Sorry, this is all new to me..

If the wood block is floating, then the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the block. But since the wood block with the added weight is now submerged under the water, then the weight of the block must be greater than the buoyant force? Or does the buoyant force change to accommodate the new weight?

The buoyant force definitely changes as weight is added--that's why more water is displaced (it sinks lower). In the first case, the buoyant force just has to support the weight of the block; in the second case it must support the block plus the added weight.

Hint: By what factor does the buoyant force increase? (Compare the amount of water displaced.)

Thanks for the help! I think I get it now.

Related to Buoyant Force Conceptual Question

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or completely submerged in the fluid.

2. What factors affect the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the shape of an object affect the buoyant force?

Yes, the shape of an object does affect the buoyant force. Objects with a larger volume will experience a greater buoyant force compared to objects with a smaller volume, even if their densities are the same.

4. How does the buoyant force relate to an object's weight?

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the object. This means that if the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, the object will float. If the buoyant force is less than the weight of the object, the object will sink.

5. Does the buoyant force always act upwards?

Yes, the buoyant force always acts upwards, perpendicular to the surface of the fluid. This is due to the pressure gradient created by the weight of the fluid above the object.