Buoyant Force and Floating Objects in Accelerated Water

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of buoyant force and its relation to the floating of a granite rock in a bucket of water. The question is whether the rock will float or not, and the answer is that it depends on the comparison of the buoyant force and the gravitational force. The conversation also explores the idea of how to make the bucket of water accelerate upward.
destinee20
Hi I have this problem and I don't fully understand how to get started, so please help. Thanks

A bucket of water is accelerated upward at 2.4g. What is the buoyant force on a 3.0-kg granite rock (SG=2.7) submerged in the water? Will the rock float? Why or why not?

I know that it would float if Fb>mg

...I'm just confused... please help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
destinee20,

Well...as a rule do rocks usually float?

After you answer that, try imagining what it would be like to actually do this experiment. You have a bucket of water with a rock in it (either floating or not, depending on how you answered my first question). What do you have to do to make the bucket "accelerate upward"?

the buoyant force will increase, but the "gravitational" force will increase as well. The resultang force will be proprtional to the difference between the water and rock densities, and this difference does not depend on the "gravitation".

Related to Buoyant Force and Floating Objects in Accelerated Water

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid (such as water) that is in opposition to the force of gravity.

How is buoyancy related to a bucket of water?

A bucket of water will experience buoyancy because the weight of the water inside the bucket is pushing down on the bottom of the bucket, while the buoyant force from the surrounding water is pushing up on the bottom and sides of the bucket.

What factors affect the buoyancy of a bucket of water?

The buoyancy of a bucket of water is affected by the volume, density, and weight of the water inside the bucket, as well as the density and weight of the surrounding water.

How does the shape of a bucket affect its buoyancy?

The shape of a bucket can affect its buoyancy because it determines the amount of water it can hold and the distribution of that water's weight. A wider and deeper bucket will have a greater buoyant force than a taller and narrower bucket with the same volume of water.

Does the material of the bucket affect its buoyancy?

Yes, the material of the bucket can affect its buoyancy. A lighter material, such as plastic, will have less weight and therefore experience more upward buoyant force compared to a heavier material, such as metal.