Buoyancy - how much does this person drink?

• Thread starter Terrance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a beer bottle floating in water and a drinker taking a swig, causing the bottle to float higher. The question is asking for the mass of beer the drinker consumed. The conversation discusses the forces acting on the bottle and the equations that can be used to find the mass of the bottle. The conversation ends with the original poster expressing their gratitude for the help in solving the problem.
Terrance
This is my second question here in several months; I sincerely appreciate the people here and their generosity to help others! Any help is greatly appreciated!

We've been given a question and the answer; it's our duty to determine how to solve this problem and get to the given answer.

Q: A partially full beer bottle with interior diameter 52 mm is floating upright in water, as shown below. A drinker takes a swig and replaces the bottle in the water, where it not floats 28 mm higher than before. How much (mass) beer did the drinker drink?

The diagrams are simple. The first one depicts a beer bottle floating in water, while the second one portrays the same beer bottle (but with less liquid inside) floating higher in the same amount of water. It is less submerged.

A: 59g

Now, I've determined certain things myself.

The forces acting on the bottle are Fg (gravity), Fa (opposes gravity). Fg can be calculated by doing Fg = mass of the bottle x gravity, however, we don't know the mass of the bottle. Fg can also be calculated by doing, density of the bottle x surface area of the bottle x gravity.

After this, I get somewhat stuck. It's as if there are missing certain values. If anyone can help me solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the bottle (before and after the swig) floats, what can you say about the buoyant force compared to the weight of the bottle + beer? Also: What's the relationship between buoyant force and the displaced fluid?

Using the above, set up equations for before and after the swig. Then compare the two equations (try subtracting). Hint: What matters is the difference in the quantities before and after the swig. Try it.

Thank you very much! With your help and little more researching and thinking, I've solved my problem! :smile:

Related to Buoyancy - how much does this person drink?

1. How does the amount of liquid a person drinks affect their buoyancy?

The more liquid a person drinks, the more buoyant they will become. This is because the human body is mostly made up of water, and the more water in the body, the less dense it is, resulting in greater buoyancy.

2. Can a person's weight affect their buoyancy?

Yes, a person's weight can affect their buoyancy. The more a person weighs, the more they will sink in water. This is due to the increased mass of their body, making them more dense and less buoyant.

3. Does the type of liquid a person drinks impact their buoyancy?

Yes, the type of liquid a person drinks can impact their buoyancy. For instance, drinking carbonated beverages or alcohol can make a person less buoyant because these liquids are less dense than water.

4. How long does the effect of drinking on buoyancy last?

The effect of drinking on buoyancy is temporary and will last until the liquid is digested and expelled from the body. Typically, this can take 1-3 hours depending on the amount and type of liquid consumed.

5. Are there any risks associated with changes in buoyancy due to drinking?

Yes, there are risks associated with changes in buoyancy due to drinking. If a person becomes too buoyant, they may have difficulty staying underwater and may be at risk of drowning. On the other hand, if a person becomes less buoyant, they may struggle to stay afloat and could also be at risk of drowning. It is important for individuals to be aware of their buoyancy levels and to always drink responsibly near bodies of water.