Buoyancy Formula (Fb, mdg, T etc)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics lab report where the student is struggling to understand the concept of buoyancy and deriving an equation for it. They are using measurements of the mass and volume of a rubber duck submerged in water, as well as the weight of the duck and an additional weight, to calculate the buoyant force and volume of water displaced. The conversation also touches on the concept of density and how it relates to buoyancy.
miava

Homework Statement

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and a beginner at physics so I hope to get some help! :-)

I am doing a report for a lab we did a few weeks ago, and it happens to be one where I was feeling awful and obviously not paying enough attention!

We were using a rubber duck with a weight, submurging it in water and measuring the mass and volume of the duck and then finding its mean density.

The mass of the duck = 70g
The mass of the weight used = 30g

One of the questions asks:

"Write an equation relating the buoyant force B, gravitational force mdg on ducky, the tension downward due to the small force of weight W and the tension T upward provided by the string and spring balance. Use this equation and the measurements of T and W and ducky's mass md to deduce the buoyand force and hence the volume of water displaced"

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I have an equation at the bottom of my page that says the volume of the water is 1x10-4L and the density of the duck is (0.07)(1.10-4) = 700 kgl-3

And another that says the weight of the duck is .686N.

Do these sound correct? And what would be the equation they are asking for above?

Maybe I shouldn't do these assignments so late at night, but I feel at bit lost! lol

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're measuring the weight of the ducky underwater? Draw yourself a free body diagram. Then use Newton's second law to derive an equation for the forces on the ducky acting in the vertical direction.

Once we have the equation we have to use the T, Md and W measurements to find the bouyant force and volume of water displaced.

My equation is Fb = Mdg

Does the tension force upward and the 30g weight downward cancel out?

I have the mass as 0.07kg and volume of water displaced 1x10-4; and the buoyoant force as .686N

I'm assuming the weight was used to make ducky fully submerge.

Forget the water for a minute, just suspend ducky from the scale and look at the fbd. The magnitude of T should be equal and opposite to the weight of ducky plus the extra 30gm weight, right, that is, whatever is registering on the scale? Now add water. The new weight measured is the actual weight minus the buoyancy force. The buoyancy force is also equal to the weight of the water displaced. I am guessing that is 1e-4m^3 (cubic meters) or 100 cubic centimeters of water. what is the weight of this much water?

in the end: density=mass/volume =70g/100cc= 0.7g/cc which can be converted to units of kg/l be first dividing by 1000 to convert g to kg and multiplying by 1000cc/L, which cancel out. (a m^3=1000L)

Since it is less than the density of water, this is why the additional mass was used, otherwise Mr Ducky would have been floating.

Related to Buoyancy Formula (Fb, mdg, T etc)

1. What is the Buoyancy Formula?

The Buoyancy Formula, also known as Archimedes' Principle, is a physical law that states the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be expressed as Fb = mdg, where Fb is the buoyant force, m is the mass of the fluid displaced, d is the density of the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the Buoyancy Formula used in real-life applications?

The Buoyancy Formula is used in various real-life applications, such as shipbuilding, submarine design, and hot air balloon flight. It is also used in the design of flotation devices and life jackets to ensure they provide enough buoyant force to keep a person afloat.

3. How does temperature affect the buoyant force?

Temperature does not directly affect the buoyant force. However, it can affect the density of the fluid, which in turn can affect the buoyant force. As the temperature of a fluid increases, its density decreases, resulting in a decrease in the buoyant force on an object immersed in the fluid.

4. What is the relationship between buoyant force and the weight of an object?

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that if an object weighs less than the fluid it displaces, it will float, and if it weighs more, it will sink. This is why objects made of materials with lower densities, such as wood or plastic, tend to float in water.

5. Can the Buoyancy Formula be applied to gases?

Yes, the Buoyancy Formula can be applied to gases as well. In this case, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the gas that the object displaces. This is the principle behind hot air balloon flight, where the heated air inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air, causing the balloon to rise.