Bungee Jump - Potential and Kinetic Energy

In summary: PE(sp) and use 57.3 as the 'h' in PE(g)?In summary, the bungee jumper needs to calculate the length of the bungee cord in order to come to rest 3m above the ground. The spring constant is 22 N/m and the jumper has a mass of 55kg. For part a, the correct equation to use is PE(g)=PE(sp)+PE(g), and the length of the cord
kdm06

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper needs to calculate how much bungee cord to attach to herself so that it will bring her to rest 3m above ground. The spring constant of the bungee cord is 22 N/m, and she has a mass of 55kg. Neglect the bungee cord's mass.
a. How long a bungee cord is required?
b. If she uses the length calculated in a but the spring stiffness is 10 percent less than it was advertised to be, how fast will she hit the ground?

The bungee jumper is standing 70m above the ground.

Homework Equations

PE(g)=mgh
PE(sp)=1/2kx^2
KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I used this equation:
PE(g)=PE(sp)+PE(g)
55(9.81)(70)=1/2(22)*x^2+(55)(9.81)(3)
x=57.3 m

For part b I used this equation:
PE(g)=PE(sp)+KE
55(9.81)(70)=1/2(19.8)(57.3)^2+1/2(55)v^2
v=13.835 m/s

The correct answer is 7.95 m/s for part b.
So I am not sure if my part a is wrong or if I am not setting up my equation correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone please look over my work? I may have set it up incorrectly.

For part a, 'x' is the extension in the spring not it's total length.

That's some wacky stuff if its spring constant is independent of its length.

Yes, but it also has zero mass!

So, did I go about part a incorrectly or did I substitute the incorrect amount for part b?

Yeah, part a) isn't right.

She needs to come to rest 3m above ground. So conservation of energy won't work here for part a).

when she comes to rest, energy has been lost to heat/friction etc...

What is her acceleration when she comes to rest? hence what is the net force acting on her when she comes to rest? so what is the extension of the bungee cord?

Since acceleration isn't given, should I use F=ma and find acceleration?
Then use a constant accelaration equation to find the cord extension?

kdm06 said:
Since acceleration isn't given, should I use F=ma and find acceleration?
Then use a constant accelaration equation to find the cord extension?

What is the acceleration of a body at rest?

learningphysics said:
She needs to come to rest 3m above ground. So conservation of energy won't work here for part a).
By "come to rest" I assume they meant momentarily come to rest, not be at equilibrium. (Otherwise she'll probably smack into the ground!) So I see nothing wrong with using conservation of energy.

Oh...sorry! OK...so the net force acting on her at rest is weight. So would the extension just be 67 m?

Doc Al said:
By "come to rest" I assume they meant momentarily come to rest, not be at equilibrium. (Otherwise she'll probably smack into the ground!) So I see nothing wrong with using conservation of energy.

Yes, you're right. :smile: For some reason I thought that she does smash into the ground in this problem!

sorry about that kdm! your initial solution to part a) is fine I believe, except you need to get 70m - 3m - 57.3m = 9.7m I think.

sorry again.

ok. so for part a the length of the cord would be 9.7?
but for part b i understood it as she does hit the ground since the spring stiffness is 10 percent less. however would i use 9.7 as the 'x' in PE(sp) and use 57.3 as the 'h' in PE(g)?

kdm06 said:
ok. so for part a the length of the cord would be 9.7?
but for part b i understood it as she does hit the ground since the spring stiffness is 10 percent less. however would i use 9.7 as the 'x' in PE(sp) and use 57.3 as the 'h' in PE(g)?

The amount the bungee stretches for part b) is 70m - 9.7m = 60.3m.

so this would be your equation:

55(9.81)(70)=1/2(19.8)(60.3)^2+1/2(55)v^2

Related to Bungee Jump - Potential and Kinetic Energy

1. What is the concept behind bungee jumping?

The concept behind bungee jumping is to experience the thrill of free-falling while being safely attached to an elastic cord. This activity involves jumping from a tall structure, such as a bridge or platform, and bouncing back up when the cord reaches its maximum length, due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy.

2. How does potential energy play a role in bungee jumping?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or state. In bungee jumping, the jumper has potential energy when standing on the edge of the platform. As they fall, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. When the cord reaches its maximum length, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in the jumper's bounce back up.

3. What factors determine the potential energy in a bungee jump?

The potential energy in a bungee jump is determined by the height of the structure, the weight of the jumper, and the length and elasticity of the bungee cord. The higher the structure, the more potential energy the jumper will have. A heavier jumper will also have more potential energy. The length and elasticity of the bungee cord will affect the amount of potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy during the jump.

4. Is there a limit to the potential energy in a bungee jump?

Yes, there is a limit to the potential energy in a bungee jump. The maximum potential energy can be achieved when the jumper is at the highest point of the jump, right before the cord reaches its maximum length. After this point, the potential energy will decrease as the kinetic energy increases. The jumper will eventually reach a point where all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and they will come to a stop.

5. What safety measures are in place to ensure the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy during a bungee jump?

There are several safety measures in place to ensure the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy during a bungee jump. First, the bungee cord is made of strong, elastic materials that can withstand the weight of the jumper and the force of the fall. The bungee cord is also attached to a secure anchor point on the structure and to the jumper's harness. Additionally, trained professionals carefully calculate the length and elasticity of the bungee cord to ensure the jumper will not hit the ground or the structure during the jump.