Bungee Jump Physics: Solving for Maximum Fall Length and Spring Constant

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum length of fall before a bungee stops a jumper. The speaker mentions using a few arbitrary starting heights and bungee spring constants. They also mention the use of Hook's Law and Elastic PE.
ScienceMan123
Ok so I'm trying to find the maximum length of fall before the bungee brings the jumper to a stop? So I've chosen a few arbitrary starting heights: 50m, 55m, 60m and a few arbitrary bungee spring constants: 25 N/m, 30 N/m, 35 N/m.

How would I go about in approaching this problem? I think this problem has something to do with Hook's Law and Elastic PE but I need some more help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by considering that a change in kinetic energy is equal to the net work done on an object, the work done by gravity is just [itex] mg\triangle h [/itex] , what is the work done by the bungee?

Related to Bungee Jump Physics: Solving for Maximum Fall Length and Spring Constant

1. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the jump?

The length of the bungee cord directly affects the distance the jumper falls before the cord begins to stretch. A longer cord will allow the jumper to fall further, thus increasing the speed at which they reach the end of the cord and experience a rebound. A shorter cord will result in a shorter fall and slower rebound.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the jumper and the bungee cord?

The mass of the jumper affects the amount of force placed on the bungee cord during the jump. A heavier jumper will experience a greater force on the cord, causing it to stretch further and resulting in a higher rebound. A lighter jumper will experience less force and a lower rebound.

3. How does the location of the attachment point affect the bungee jump?

The location of the attachment point on the jumper's body can affect the jump in several ways. If the attachment point is closer to the feet, the jumper will experience a longer fall and a more intense rebound. If the attachment point is closer to the torso, the fall will be shorter and the rebound will be less intense. Additionally, the placement of the attachment point can impact the angle at which the jumper falls, affecting the overall experience of the jump.

4. What role does gravity play in a bungee jump?

Gravity is a fundamental force that plays a crucial role in bungee jumping. It is responsible for pulling the jumper towards the ground and creating the initial acceleration during the fall. Gravity also works against the bungee cord, causing it to stretch and store potential energy, which is then released during the rebound.

5. How do weather conditions affect a bungee jump?

Weather conditions can impact a bungee jump in several ways. Wind can affect the stability and trajectory of the jumper, making it more difficult to control their movements. Rain and cold temperatures can also affect the elasticity of the bungee cord, potentially altering the jump experience. It is important to take weather conditions into consideration when planning a bungee jump for safety reasons.