Bungee Jump: 65 kg, 11m Rope, 36m Fall

In summary: If kinetic and elastic energy only applies while the elastic force is present, then when would the elastic force be present?When the elastic force is present, the person would have max speed and be in a free fall.
getalifebaby
The girl is going on a bungee jump. She weighs 65 kg. The rope is 11m. In total, she fell 36 m. The first 11 m is free fall, and another 25m is simple harmonic motion.

1) k of rope
2)max spped
3)what point when she has max speed
4)amplitude of rope
5)how long does it take

Homework Equations

vf^2= 2ax
delta L= mg/k
_/(k/m) A- square rt of k/m times A

The Attempt at a Solution

initial velocity = 0
acceleration= 9.8m/s^2
1) k of rope
i got k for 25.48

2)max spped
max speed for free fall= 14.7m/s
V_max for rope= 15.65m/s
So do I add them up or just 15.65??!

3)what point when she has max speed
36m?

4)amplitude of rope
25m?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
why don't you show us how you solved each step, starting with the first one?

1) i used deltaL= mg/k

25m=65*9.8/k
k= 25.48

2) V_f^2=2(9.8)(11m)
V_f=14.7m/s for free fall
then
V_max= square rt of k/m *A
so sqr (25.48/65) *25= 15.65 m/s

Thanks

ok, for part 1 you have it right, but try using a more accurate value for g = 9.81 m/s2. It will actually change your final answer.

For part two, when do you expect the person to reach her final speed? And also, how did you derive "V_max= square rt of k/m *A"?

V_max when the rope reach maxium stretch.
I didnt derive it, it was a formula.

getalifebaby said:
V_max when the rope reach maxium stretch.
I didnt derive it, it was a formula.

oh i see what you meant now. but using kinetic and elastic energy relationships only holds when there is only an elastic force present for a given period of time. Is this the case?

And plus, try to picture the scenario visually: once the elastic of the bungee jump is full stretched, what would you expect to happen? What would you guess her speed to be?

Related to Bungee Jump: 65 kg, 11m Rope, 36m Fall

1. How is the length of the rope determined for a bungee jump?

The length of the rope is typically determined based on the weight of the jumper, the height of the jump, and the desired level of bounce. In this case, with a 65 kg jumper, an 11m rope would provide enough stretch for a safe and enjoyable jump.

2. Is there a weight limit for bungee jumping?

Yes, there is typically a weight limit for bungee jumping to ensure the safety of the jumper. This limit can vary depending on the specific bungee jumping company and equipment being used. In this case, the weight limit for a 36m fall would likely be around 70-75 kg.

3. What is the maximum speed a person can reach during a bungee jump?

The maximum speed a person can reach during a bungee jump depends on various factors such as the weight of the jumper, length of the rope, and height of the jump. However, in general, the maximum speed can range from 70-130 km/h, with an average of 100 km/h.

4. How is the safety of a bungee jump ensured?

The safety of a bungee jump is ensured through strict regulations, routine inspections of equipment, and trained professionals overseeing the jump. Before jumping, the equipment is thoroughly checked and tested. Additionally, the jumper is securely harnessed and guided by trained staff throughout the entire process.

5. What are the potential risks of bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping, like any extreme sport, carries some risks. The most common risks include injuries from impact, rope malfunction, and heart-related issues. It is essential to follow all safety protocols and have proper medical clearance before attempting a bungee jump.